Wonderful Speakers for Community For All
From: Karen Gimnig (karencohousgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 19:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
We're getting more and more excited about our upcoming Community For All
event.  You can find all the information and REGISTER here:
https://www.cohousing.org/2020-all/

In the meantime, here's a taste of what we'll learn that day.

Stories from BIPOC Cohousers

Joi Faison, Rosemary Linares and Alicia Wilson-Ahlstrom will share their
experiences of living in cohousing as women of color. Moderator, Crystal
Bryd Farmer, will guide the conversation and take your questions. Bring
your curiosity, you might just hear something that surprises you.

Yana Ludwig

Class, Culture and Community

We will take a brief look at how class and classism affect our attempts to
create functional communities. Class differences and tensions are present
in almost every community project, and when unaddressed, this creates a
number of barriers for getting the culture we want, and to one of the most
common community goals: affordability. Yana will offer some tips and
exercises for getting into a productive conversation about class.

Joe Cole

What’s in a Name?

How a shift in values from diversity to racial equity guided a community
name change process, while revealing that we still have a long way to go to
overcome racism in ourselves and in our mostly white community. We’ll talk
strategies for expanding racial awareness, addressing racism and white
privilege, and building resilience for the path ahead.

Fresh “Lev” White

Beauty and Diversity
Invoking and acknowledging the importance of the beauty and diversity in
nature we’ll reflect on ‘us’ as a product of its brilliance. Looking at
ways our culture is richer because of the diversity of people who
contribute to it, we’ll learn to welcome our similarities, and honor are
differences as opportunities for growth.

--
Karen Gimnig
Communications Director