Re: Cohousing traffic studies
From: Jeroldine Hallberg (hardinestergmail.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 07:33:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Rozanna -
I'm a member of Skagit Commons, a cohousing project in Anacortes,
Washington. I coordinated the city land use permit application. We are
working with Katie McCamant, who told us there are no recent studies about
cohousing trip generation. However, the city uses a traffic generation
model with numbers for multifamily housing that are quite a bit lower than
single-family detached homes. This is based on nationwide data that
residents of multifamily homes take fewer daily trips. So if you're
designing a "multifamily" project, you may already receive that advantage.
Definitions of multifamily housing vary by state and by agency, and I don't
know what definition is used by the traffic engineers who publish the trip
generation numbers. In our case, we have a mix of flats (1, 2, and
3-bedroom) and townhouses, which are two-story attached homes. The
townhouses are in groups of 2, 3, and 4. Our site is very complicated,
including being split by a zoning line. That necessitated the
more-expensive configuration with two townhouse buildings being in groups
of two homes, as that zone allows "duplexes" as the most dense housing
form, whereas the balance of the property is outright "multifamily."
Good luck with your project,
Jerry Hallberg