Re: Orientation/Owners manuals
From: Vicki Rittner (vickirittnergmail.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 18:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
Chris-

For clarification, you're not asking for legal documents (i.e. Occupancy
Agreement, By-Laws, Declaration, etc.) but the OTHER document, which my
community refers to as the "Handbook". In reality, it's a mish-mash of
sentences and paragraphs arranged in A-Z order by Topic including my
favorites, Common Courtesy, Common Areas, Death, Deliveries, and Electric
Car Charging Station (we don't have one).

Our legal documents include several/many references to "rules and
policies", but I would argue that there is nothing that identifies the
Handbook as a Rule Book. It truly is one of the most poorly crafted yet
important documents a resident in a cooperative/co-housing community might
need, but ours seems to be carved in stone.

Chris, am I correctly understanding your request?

As I thought about whether to respond, a question came to mind.

Are there other members of this group who own and live in a unit in a
market-rate, age-restricted residential cooperative? I began to investigate
co-housing in early 2016, and a few months later discovered a "just
announced" project of 52 apartment-style homes, in a 3-story building with
underground climate-controlled parking. I signed up and purchased my
"share" a year before ground-breaking, and the building opened in March
2019. Owners are not required to do anything to support the community, and
we have an elected board of directors and a professional management
company.

Does that meet your definition or understanding of co-housing?

Vicki
Village Cooperative of Fort Collins (Colorado)