Re: Using a Management Company
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 16:20:39 -0800 (PST)
We've been moved in since 2006, and have tried all variety of approaches to
bookkeeping and property management. We originally used a member volunteer for
bookkeeping, but changed to an outside bookkeeper because if something went
wrong with the bookkeeping, we wanted someone we could fire.

After frustrations working with a condo property management company (we simply
don't fit into their business model), we switch to a local bookkeeping firm. It
took a better part of a year to get the system working smoothly and the reports
we want, but now it seems to be working very well with close overview of an
active finance committee.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

and homeowner in Nevada City Cohousing (finance and landscape commitees)

On 11/4/20, 1:08 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Chuck Harrison"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of cfharr [at] gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Sharon,

    At Duwamish Cohousing in Seattle WA we have 23 units and about half the
    budget you do. We have never used a management company. Water, sewer, and
    garbage are paid in common, budgeted into monthly dues (approx 25% of total
    budget), and not metered to units. Gas and Electric are individually
    metered and do not pass through the homeowner association.

    Our facilities & maintenance tasks routinely fall behind and I am sure that
    professional management would handle things more promptly. Our residents
    are remarkably tolerant. FWIW I am skeptical that a management company
    would get better or more cost-effective results, but more work would be
    accomplished sooner.

    Bookkeeping is handled using Quickbooks by a volunteer treasurer, often
    with another volunteer assistant. No problems in the 5 years I have lived
    here. We pay an accountant to prepare our annual tax filing.

    We pay for a professional Reserves Study every few years, which is, I
    believe, required by state Condo law.

    Chuck

    On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Sharon Villines via Cohousing-L <
    cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    > I have long believed that management companies are not effective for
    > cohousing. Now I have an opportunity to lead a study to see if I can
    > convince other people here. We pay close to $2,000 a month for both
    > facilities and financial management.
    >
    > Independent consultants are available for specific facilities related
    > issues and they have a higher level of expertise. A lot of information is
    > available for the cost of membership in the CAI, which an information
    > source and a networking opportunity with other condo owners. We have also
    > had a problem with turnover — just as we learn how to work together, our
    > manager will leave and we start over even though we are still working with
    > the same management company.
    >
    > The financial end is handled at the management company by a book keeper
    > that uses the same computer based systems that we could use ourselves.
They