Re: We are soon making the decision to bring or not bring gas to the community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 13:17:31 -0800 (PST)
> On Nov 30, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Jenny Guy <jenstermeister [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's something else I wonder about: our buildings have been here for 80
> years without air conditioning. [snip] When I was a kid, it was unthinkable
> that anyone
> would have air conditioning in San Francisco, but now it's full

Pollution. Air pollution. Noise pollution. Not just from exhausts, from all the
activity that keeps the “cement dust” moving. Changes in planting for the
convenience of cleaners but produce higher pollution.

Stuff like that.

I think it also has to do with higher stress levels. Or ambition. We put in AC
so we can work harder and faster even when it is 100 degrees out there. We
don’t have to get up early to avoid the heat. We don’t take siestas.

One of the book reports I haven’t written is on “Carjacked: The Culture of the
Automobile and Its Effect on Our Lives,” It is cowritten by a professor of
Anthropology and International Studies at Brown University and her analysis is
from a totally different direction than we usually hear. She examines how
expectations of children have been changed. It isn’t just that cars made more
activities available but we expect kids to "take advantage" of all those
activities. I used to sit in a big elm tree and read books for hours. How many
parents worry about children who don’t have any “activities" this week?

Carjacked shows how our lives have changed without our being aware of it once
we have a car.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines