Re: Need words to Cohousing Song
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Below is another cohousing song version done by my wife, Becca Brackett.
She tried to stick closely to the original 1946 song by Irving Berlin which
I've included below hers.  It got a bit wordy and harder to sing.
She included the "bridge" (indented).  A verse could be added specific to
local community.

FRed

------ Becca's version of Cohousing song ----------------

There's no housing like co- housing like no housing I know
Everything about it is appealing, everything that ZONING will allow
Nowhere ELSE could you get that happy feeling when ya'll are Bonding over tasty
chow.

There's no people like COHO people, they help when you are low
Even with a core group that you fear will fold, you may be stranded out in the
cold
Still you wouldn't change it for a sack of gold, let's go on with the show

       The Renter, the Student, Homeowner, the monk
       Are secretly unhappy ones  because
       The Renter, the Student, Homeowner, the monk
       Get housing for their money, but no applause
       They'd gladly bid their dreary HOMES goodbye,
       for anything like cohousing and do you know why

There's no housing like co-housing and I tell you it's so
Visiting cohousing  is so thrilling, saunter down the pathway on starlit nights
Smile as you watch THE CHILDREN PLAYING and there's your BUILDING WITH FRIENDLY
LIGHTS

There's no people like OUR people, they HELP when YOU are low
Angels come from everywhere with lots of jack, and when you lose it, there's no
attack
Wha-da-ya mean there's  money that I won't get back?  Let's go on with the show

(there's no housing like co- housing like no housing I know)
You get word before the GENERAL MEETING that your favorite uncle died at dawn
AND your pa and ma have parted, you're broken-hearted, but You Check In ( to
the general meeting I mean)

(there's no people like COHO people, they HELP WHEN YOU ARE LOW)

Yesterday they told you: you COULD not BUY IN,
THEN WHEN IT OPENS YOU'RE IN LIKE FLYNN
Next day on your UNIT DOOR they've hung a star, LET COHOUSING GO FAR!

---- original There's No Business Like Show Business   --  Irving Berlin 1946
---
( from https://www.lyrics.com/ -- there seem to be many versions of the
original)

There's no business like show business like no business I know
Everything about it is appealing, everything that traffic will allow
Nowhere could you get that happy feeling when you are stealing that extra bow

There's no people like show people, they smile when they are low
Even with a turkey that you know will fold, you may be stranded out in the cold
Still you wouldn't change it for a sack of gold, let's go on with the show

The butcher, the baker, the grocer, the clerk
Are secretly unhappy men because
The butcher, the baker, the grocer, the clerk
Get paid for what they do but no applause.
They'd gladly bid their dreary jobs goodbye for anything theatrical and why?

There's no business like show business and I tell you it's so
Traveling through the country is so thrilling, standing out in front on opening
nights
Smiling as you watch the theater filling, and there's your billing out there in
lights

There's no people like show people, they smile when they are low
Angels come from everywhere with lots of jack, and when you lose it, there's no
attack
Where could you get money that you don't give back? let's go on with the show

(There's no business like show business like no business I know)
You get word before the show has started that your favorite uncle died at dawn
Top of that, your pa and ma have parted, you're broken-hearted, but you go on

(There's no people like show people, they smile when they are low)
Yesterday they told you you would not go far, that night you open and there you
are
Next day on your dressing room they've hung a star, let's go on with the show!!