Re: How many community meetings to make a decision?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
At Mosaic our major learning has been "the faster you try to go, the longer
it takes to make a decision".

Our "general meetings" of the plenary happen once a month, sometimes twice
in November for budget approval.

So now, after 11 years in place, many decisions happen in one or two
meetings--because the leaders of the decision spent a lot of time in
discussion circles, individual meetings, and with professionals getting
details on costs, choices, etc.
Essentially, if you can come to a meeting knowing what the community's
concerns are, why they want such a thing to happen, AND actual data on the
cost, the things you may give up or gain by spending more or less, etc.
THEN you can come to a decision quickly.

We have several policies that took years to make--outdoor cats is one that
comes to mind.  And we are on the third pass to try to build the workshop
that was in our original plans, sometimes it took a few months to die,
other times it took a couple years. This time it might be the huge increase
of the price of wood to kill what looked like a successful approval. Some,
like parking, took years of discussion to discover there wasn't actually a
problem that needed an agreement.

-Liz
(The Rev. Dr.) Elizabeth Mae Magill
Pastor, Ashburnham Community Church