Re: question about cohousing communities that have not made it
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Bronson >jimbronsonashland [at] gmail.com> asked:

>One of our explorer couples is interested to know about cohousing
>communities that have failed, both 1)  after they were built and occupied,
>and 2) when they were in a stage of formation.

I am not aware of of any communities that got built and occupied and
then failed.  But most cohousing development efforts are not successful.

Of the 461 communities listed in cohousing directory from 1994 - 2017,
317 failed to get built (69%) and 144 succeeded (31%).

>From correspondence a while back, a cohousing developer in Madison, WI
came up with similar numbers.

See my page at http://l.cohousing.org/1994-2017.htm
about how I came to this conclusion.

It would be nice to know how many failed after getting to various stages
of development but I am unaware of any such information.  Some of
those in my study may not have gotten beyond the idea stage with a
directory listing...

Fred