Re: Electric Car usage in communities
From: Chuck Harrison (cfharrgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
At my community in Seattle, the first electric vehicle (a Leaf) arrived
almost 10 years ago. The owner paid all costs to install a level 2 charger
at one of the common buildings adjacent to his assigned space in the
parking area. The installation included a commercial-quality usage meter
(kWh) and the owner pays an amount every month reimbursing the community
for the measured usage.

When the second EV (mine) arrived about 5 years later, the community
realized that simply repeating the pattern of the first installation would
be unsustainable as we would quickly run out of electrical service capacity
for all the vehicles to charge simultaneously. Inasmuch as I have an
engineering background, I began to look for an "optimum" solution. It was a
long time coming.

Fast forward to today. We have six electric vehicles now, mostly charging
on 120V (level 1) outlets, and the arrangements are rather ad hoc. However
we are building out a plan which will soon (next month!) provide four level
2 stations and a "smart" control system which spreads out the charging
power over time so that our existing electrical service will not be
overloaded. Our plan has a long term vision of supporting about 25 stations
in our parking lot at a loosely estimated total cost of $100,000. The build
out will be incremental as demand arises.

The money is not coming from the community budget; we established an "EV
Collective" organization which is primarily funded by a one-time member
subscription fee. All charging stations are owned by the Collective (no
personal chargers permitted) and every EV owner is expected to join and pay
in. EV owners will reimburse the community for the amount of electricity
used (the new level 2 stations we are installing automatically measure
consumption and report it electronically).

As I have shepherded this process for 5 years, I can probably answer almost
any question about our system. However I can't tell you how the "smart"
charging actually performs until we complete the installation next month
and get some experience with it.

Chuck Harrison
Duwamish Cohousing