CCC Meeting/Updates/Listserve
From: Shannon Williams (sjcfirstunitarian.org)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 06:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone!

1.        Fred has been gracious and set up a list serv for our climate
change group.  You should have received an email invitation to join.  You
must accept the invitation in order to send and receive emails to the list
serv.  If you can't find your email from Fred, please let me know so your
invitation can be re-sent.

2.       Our next meeting will be Sunday, May 19 at Noon.  We are going to
take all the ideas that have been generated, make decisions on which ones we
want to follow through with, and make a plan of action so we can get to
work!

3.       Some ideas were brainstormed at the last meeting during Eat & Meet.
Nancy has also developed some ideas she would like your feedback on:

*Explore networking possibilities/desirabilities. Minnesota Interfaith Power
and Light would certainly be high among them. Another would be the Minnesota
North Star Chapter of the Sierra Club (I get both their email and paper
newsletters).

*Develop a list of useful websites and organizations to make connection
with, e.g., Environmental Defense Fund, Sierra Club, etc.

This does already happen but we could use some more publicity and volunteer
staffing - *Consider having postcards ready at the SJC table at the Sunday
coffee hour for members to contact their legislators when important
matters/votes are coming up. (I think you already suggested this to me.)  It
would need a little figuring out: who addresses postcards and to whom? would
a list of MN and Congressional legislators be helpful? does SJC compose a
message to go on the cards? what to do with leftovers, etc., etc.

*Promote purchase of MoveOn.org's excellent handbook for activists, "50 Ways
to Love Your Country." It was published in 2004 but is in no way dated. It's
available on Amazon, but this morning I showed my copy to Ray Schreurs and
Phoebe Dahlquist, who are likely to order a couple of copies for the FUS
book store. More could be ordered if there's a demand.

*Talk with Jan Devor about ways to engage FUS youth.

*Think about Forum presenters. For example, Chuck Dayton, a resident of 1666
Coffman (the University-connected retirees, where Bob Tapp lives) gave an
excellent interview in the Spring/Summer issue of the MN North Star Chapter
of the Sierra Club's (paper edition). He's been an environmental activist
for years and now works with MN Interfaith Power and Light. He thinks
religious involvement is significant. I'll be glad to show you the
interview.

Shannon Williams

Social Justice Coordinator

First Unitarian Society of Minneapolis