Sun, Nov 10 1PM First Univ: What's Good Food?
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 11:05:46 -0800 (PST)
Scott Jackson  sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com forwarded two files about
the event below. Scott could use a ride from FUS to the event.
I put the text of the files below; the files are at:
http://www.justcomm.org/temp/Good_Food_Flyer.pdf
http://www.justcomm.org/temp/TEST_YOUR_FOOD_IQ.doc

I did not include the quoted verbage about the files.  Fred Olson

In collaboration with neighboring congregations, First Universalist
hosts a conversation to explore our food from a variety of
perspectives.  Featured guests from small and family farms, workersÃââ
rights organizations, sustainable agriculture, and local food justice
efforts will join us.

Do you consider what you are eating and whether its origins are
compatible with your values?

Do you realize that in our community both obesity and scarcity are
problems?

Do you long for guidance and community in making these difficult
choices?

What is GOOD food?
an interfaith conversation about values, equity and sustainability

The reality of industrial food production, the
changing climate and the paradox of widespread
hunger and obesity calls us, as people of faith, to
both understand and align our eating with our
beliefs. Join us and our featured guests in this
critical dialogue about values, equity and
sustainability.

TEST YOUR FOOD IQ

1) What percent of U.S. farmworkers are undocumented?  Circle your answer.
    25%         34%         53%         72%

2) What does GMO stand for?  _____________________________________________

3) Which of these vegetables is one of the ÃâÅDirty DozenÃâ with
highest pesticide loads (when not grown organically)? Which is one of
the ÃâÅClean FifteenÃâ (with lowest traces of pesticides)?

Mark DD for Dirty Dozen and CF for Clean Fifteen.
____ strawberries   _____ asparagus           _____ cabbage
____ apples         _____ spinach             _____ cherry tomatoes
____ potatoes       _____ sweet potatoes      _____ eggplants

4) Nationally, what percent of African Americans live in a census
tract with a supermarket?
    8%      15%     22%     37%

5) A food desert is defined as a low income census tract where a
substantial number or share of residents has low access to a
supermarket or large grocery store.  What percentage of Minneapolis is
classified as a food desert?
    10%     25%     40%     50%

6) How much of the energy required to grow and put food on your table
is used on transportation?
    11%     18%     27%     32%

7) Which farming system has more nutrient losses through nitrate
leaching, nitrous oxide emissions, and ammonia emissions?
    Organic         Conventional

8) What percent of US families report that they are choosing at least
some organic foods?
    15%     36%     57%     78%

9) Nationally, what percentage of our fruit, nut and vegetable crops
have to be harvested by hand?
    15%     30%     55%     70%

Quiz answers down one screen...

Quiz answers:
1) The US Department of Labor reports that 53% of farmworkers
nationally are undocumented (working without legal authorization), 25%
are US citizens, and 21% are legal permanent residents.
http://www.ncfan.org/overview/

2) A genetically modified organism is one whose genetic material has
been altered using genetic engineering techniques.

3) Apples, strawberries, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and potatoes are
among the Dirty Dozen. The rest are in the Clean Fifteen. See
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php

4) Only 8% percent of African Americans live in a census tract with a
supermarket, compared to 31 percent of whites
http://www.policylink.org/site/c.lkIXLbMNJrE/b.5860321/k.A5BD/The_Grocery_Gap.htm

5) Minneapolis and St. Paul are the twin cities of food deserts. In
2006, Minneapolis was almost 50 percent food desert, as was a third of
St. Paul. Making matters worse is the fact that one of five Twin City
residents don't have cars, making it difficult to get to the areas
that do have supermarket and food stores.
http://www.businessinsider.com/food-deserts-urban-2011-10?op=1

6) Transportation represents only 11% of the energy required to put
food on your table, and delivery from producer to retailer represents
only 4%.  There are still many reasons to favor local food, including
supporting local economies and building local food security, but food
miles is not one of them.  Christopher Weber and H. Scott Matthews.
2008. Food Miles and the Relative Climate Impacts of Food Choices in
the United States Environmental Science and Technology 42: 3508-3513,
cited in http://www.postcarbon.org/article/273686-beyond-food-miles

7) On a per unit land area basis, conventional is more; on a unit food
basis, organic has more, because yields are lower in organic ag (based
on meta analysis of 71 European studies). Tuomisto et al., 2012. Does
organic farming reduce environmental impacts? A meta-analysis of
European research. Journal of Environmental Management 112:309-320.

8) 78% choose at least some organic food as reported in a survey by
the Organic Trade Association (http://www.organicnewsroom.com/2011/11/
seventyeight  percent  of  us  fam.html) although only 26 percent of
Americans regularly buy organic food,
http:www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/us/would-be-healthy-eaters-face-confusion-of-choices.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

9) At least 20-25 percent of the U.S. vegetable acreage and 40-45
percent of the U.S. fruit acreage is totally dependent on hand
harvesting. The crops represent about 30 percent of the U.S. fruit,
nut, and vegetable acreage
http://www.cis.org/FarmMechanization-ImmigrationAlternative