Bob Tapp's Suggested reading
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 07:15:57 -0800 (PST)
Bob Tapp is the author of the message below which was posted
yesterday.  It was posted today by Fred, the list manager
<fholson [at] cohousing.org> after restoring the URLs and rewording a bit.
The URLs did not make it into yesterday's post. You may have to
copy/paste the chapter URL since it got long.

Since living in 2 cities keeps me from many meetings, and since SJC
will only be meeting quarterly, let me chime in in writing. My concern
is to be sure that our positions and statements reflect our religious
humanism -- with its strong emphasis on GOOD science.

In 2002 Ecohumanism was published by Prometheus Books, volume 15 of
The Humanist Institute's Humanism Today. Members of FUS contributed 6
of the 18 chapters. We had been working on our papers for the previous
year and the discussions at that annual meeting of the Institute's
Adjunct Faculty led to much rethinking and many revisions for the
volume.

Of course we all rejected the science-denial of conservatives. But we
were also concerned that humanists avoid new-agey woo woo. Taking
Darwin and evolution seriously moved us beyond "reverence for nature"
and sentimentalities about gentle Mother Nature. In others ways, some
were then speaking of a Deep Ecology -- also critiqued by these
humanists.

I hope that this science-humanist orientation can continue in the work
of our group. There are copies of the book in our bookstore and
library,  Bob's contibutions are available online:

Bob's preface
http://www.rbtapp.com/files/HumanismToday_files/Ecohumanism-preface%20ed.pdf

Bob's Chapter
http://www.rbtapp.com/files/HumanismToday_files/Ecohumanism%E2%80%94_some%20expansions%20(2002)_1.pdf

Bob

p.s. Volumes 1-13 of Humanism Today are online at:
http://www.humanismtoday.org/
volumes 14-17 were hardback books and only tables of content are posted.