Fwd: You Can Help Double the Impact of our Divestment Campaign in Minnesota!!
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:38:46 -0800 (PST)
Yo Climate Change Agents!

I'm not adding this message to the MN350 fundraising appeal I received
earlier today to urge you to give generously to MN350 (though you may do
so, of course), but in support of my proposal that the Climate Change
Changers and MUUSJA/EcoMinds take up divestment as an organizing issue.

As you can see, MN350 has added a part-time Divestment Organizer, Patty
O'Keefe, and the organization is hoping to make the position full time in
2014. If you click on the Divestment Campaign link, you can see that Patty
offers 'one on one collaboration and coaching' and '2-5 hour campaign tool
trainings at the location of your choice', which I propose that we take
advantage of. I'm confident she would also agree to speak at an FUS Forum
if we asked.

MN Interfaith Power & Light also has a Divestment Team. The contact is
Dwight Wagenius (dwagenius [at] gmail.com), whom I met at Be the Spark. At its
'On Ramps for Action', MNIPL adds this information: "*Divestment from
Fossil Fuels*  The UCC Church as already done this nationally. A number of
Minnesota churches have been part of that process.  In Minnesota there are
many individual churches and denominations exploring this process.  See the
“Do the Math” video, and link in through 350.org and their Fossil Free
program <http://gofossilfree.org/%20>.   Contact us <julia [at] mnipl.org> if
you’d like to get started at your church, or within your larger
denomination." So the resources are at hand, awaiting our request.

As some of you know, divestment has been a contentious topic of discussion
within the UUA. Earlier this month the UU Ministry for Earth issued 'Fossil
Fuel Divestment and Socially Responsible Investment', found here:
http://uuministryforearth.org/fossil-fuel-divestment. The time is ripe for
CCC/EM to join the discussion and to take the concrete steps necessary to
divest FUS and other UU congregations in Minnesota of their fossil fuel
holdings. As I said in an earlier email to Nancy, Marcy, Mary Ann, and
David, "Like selling LED light bulbs, promoting a 'green footprint', and
working to make our building as carbon-neutral as possible (along the lines
of Mayflower UCC in Minneapolis), this is a question where the rubber meets
the road when it comes to putting our money where our mouths are (to mix my
metaphors)."

I propose that we agree to make divestment an important organizing issue,
that we set up a divestment team; and that the team meet with Foundation
members to request a list of our fossil fuel holdings and a timetable for
divesting those holdings, organize a Forum and other discussions within the
congregation, and advocate for an up-or-down vote by the congregation in
the spring.