Reprise 2: Forum on Race, Climate, and Community Health
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:30:55 -0800 (PST)
Today I got the agenda for the Forum on Race, Climate, and Community
Health. It refers to the Minneapolis Climate Action Plan, which was adopted
by the Minneapolis City Council in June 2013 following input from the
Environmental Justice Working Group. The Plan can be found here:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/sustainability/climate/index.htm.

  Setting a New Compass for Climate Justice:
A Forum on Race, Climate, and Community Health

Saturday, January 25, 2014
12:30 – 5:00pm @ Wellstone Center, St. Paul, MN

*12:30 *
* Registration and Coffee *

*12:50 *
* Blessing - Dave Larsen, Lower Sioux Community *

*1:00  *
*Forum Welcome & Honoring of the Minneapolis Climate Action Plan
Environmental Justice Working Group*

*1:15-3:00 *
*Racial Justice in Environmental Policy*
Chicana activist Kimberly Wasserman and a panel of community and
governmental leaders will discuss on how we can build a world of racial and
economic justice to ensure clean and healthy air, land and water for
everyone. They will discuss approaches to tackling the persistent
environmental risks and health disparities in Native
and
low-income
communities
and
in
communities of color.

Presentation: Kimberly Wasserman - 2013 Goldman Environmental Prize
Recipient

Response Panel

Moderator: Shalini Gupta, Center for Earth, Energy and Democracy

Alondra Cano, Minneapolis City Council, 9th Ward

Carlos Mariani, Minnesota House of Representatives, Dist. 65B
Veronica Burt, Public Policy Advocate/Cultural Organizer, Just Equity

John Stine, Commissioner, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

 Audience Dialogue with Kimberly Wasserman and Panelists

*3:00  *
*Break & Call to Action *

*3:15-5:00 *
* Mapping Justice: Environmental Risks in Twin Cities *

How can communities build power through knowledge about the environmental
risks in our neighborhoods? The Twin Cities Environmental Justice Mapping
Tool will be presented, and Panelists will discuss why we still do not know
what are in our backyards, and how we can use this mapping tool to build
more just, healthy and resilient communities.

Presentation: Twin Cities Environmental Justice Mapping Tool

Dr. Cecilia Martinez, Center for Earth, Energy and Democracy
Jeff Matson, Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, University of Minnesota

Kristen Murray, Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, University of
Minnesota

Response Panel

Moderator: Dr. David Pellow, University of Minnesota

Elizabeth Glidden, Minneapolis City Council, 8th Ward
Kimberly Wasserman, 2013 Goldman Environmental Prize Recipient for North
America
Roxanne O'Brien, Minneapolis Community Environmental Advisory Commission
David Nicholson, Executive Director, Headwaters Foundation for Justice

Audience Dialogue with Presenters and Panelists

5:00

*Closing & Call to Action *