Re: Organizational Changes to Climate Change Changers
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 13:51:56 -0800 (PST)
Hello Shannon and Marcy,

I would like to participate in both the FUS/CCC action team and the
MUUSJA/CCC working group. I have a couple of questions.

First, where does my Climate Conversations Pilot Campaign fit in? I was
given time at the last MUUSJA/CCC meeting to describe the CC pilot
campaign. Two FUS members (Nancy Miller and Catherine Jordan) expressed
interest in the campaign, and a third (Rebecca Cramer) registered for last
Thursday's introductory training, though none attended.

Joy Throm and Rick Condon of First U and Glenn Corliss of MN Valley UU
Fellowship did attend, and all expressed interest in participating in the
'super-congregation' group that I discussed at the last MUUSJA/CCC meeting.
(The super-congregation group may include members of the Humanists of MN
and Common Ground Meditation Center as well.) The group needs a home base
for core team meetings and a Community Gathering, and since I'm organizing
it, FUS seems the most logical place. Below is the first page of the
application document handed out last Thursday.

The most immediate question is whether I should discuss the application
criteria at the next MUUSJA/CCC meeting on March 18 at the UU Church of
Minnetonka, the first meeting of the new FUS/CCC action team, or both.

Second, will the two groups share the CCC/FUS listserv, or will the MUUSJA
website spin off its own listserv? (If so, I recommend a Google Group,
since it has formatting options, permits attachments, and doesn't require
an administrator.)

Climate Conversation Participating Congregation Application

  MNIPL is excited to have the opportunity to join with congregations to
convene conversations that connect, inspire and engage their communities in
meaningful action on climate change. While Climate Conversations will be an
organizing tool MNIPL makes available for all faith communities,
participation in the Climate Conversations Pilot Program is a special
commitment and opportunity.
  *T*
he
 Campaign goal: To engage at least 100 people in your community in Climate
conversations in group and one-on-one settings that are convened and
recorded between an initial kick-off date in the spring and October of 2014.
What do you get from participation in MNIPL pilot program?

Participation in a larger campaign through signed postcards to support
landmark EPA carbon regulation proposed rules.
Training in relational organizing, including skill development for and
experience with the power of value-based conversations for effective
organizing.

Support for the development of a strategic plan for climate change
organizing in your congregation.
A group of people in your congregation willing to take action on a project
or vision chosen by your planning team.

A shift in the culture of your congregation regarding the connections
between climate change and other work you are committed to.
Your congregation's Climate Conversation story shared among our MNIPL
network.

What are the steps:

   1) You and a few others decide you want to participate!
2) We support you as you recruit a core team.
3) We meet with your core team to vision, strategize and plan a Community
Gathering. 4) MNIPL facilitates a community conversation (goal of 20 or
more people) that your core team organizes and helps to convene.
5) Participants in the Community Conversation are asked to have 5 Climate
Conversations outside of the gathering.
6) Your core team helps MNIPL to collect the data from these conversations.
7) MNIPL available for a follow-up meeting to support your strategy for
next steps.