Fwd: We cannot remain silent
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 08:57:01 -0700 (PDT)
Commit2Respond starts now. Here are some initial details. Perhaps this
could be an item on the agenda of the MUUSJA Environmental Action Working
Group's next meeting.

From: Commit2Respond <connect [at] commit2respond.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Subject: We cannot remain silent
To: Scott Jackson <sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com>

    Dear Scott,

Climate change is the gravest danger facing humanity today. We are already
experiencing its effects — rising sea levels, catastrophic storms, species
extinction — but the potential effects of climate change are even more
devastating. And while climate change affects all of us, its consequences
will be felt most profoundly by the most impoverished and marginalized of
the world’s communities.

We cannot remain silent in the face of such a threat. We are compelled to
respond.
<http://www.commit2respond.org?e=78afbfd085e16f6dc46d54f12170944a&utm_source=c2r&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=peter_bill_oct&n=1>

A contingent from the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) and the
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) participated in the
People’s Climate March in New York City on September 21. There, an
estimated 400,000, including 1,500 Unitarian Universalists, took to the
streets to demand that the world’s leaders address the crisis of climate
change. The march was a stunning acknowledgment that something must be done
— now.

In the face of this historic threat to our existence on the planet, the UUA
and UUSC are joining with the Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth,
the Unitarian Universalist College of Social Justice, and the Unitarian
Universalist Ministers Association in Commit2Respond, a religious response
to the crisis of climate change
<http://www.commit2respond.org?e=78afbfd085e16f6dc46d54f12170944a&utm_source=c2r&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=peter_bill_oct&n=2>.
Commit2Respond is an initiative for climate justice awareness and action.
We invite UUs and all people of faith and conscience to commit to respond
in these three action areas:

   - Grow the climate justice movement
   - Advance the human rights of marginalized communities
   - Shift to clean and renewable energy

Thank you for having signed up to join us.

Commit2Respond starts now. The period between World Water Day on March 22,
2015, and Earth Day on April 22 will focus on explicit commitments in the
service of climate justice. But these efforts require our perseverance. We
will continue this vital work through the United Nations Climate Change
Conference in December 2015 and on through the 2017 UUA General Assembly.

Please spread the word about Commit2Respond through your congregations and
invite your family and friends to join us as well. They can learn more
about this initiative and sign up on the Commit2Respond website
<http://www.commit2respond.org?e=78afbfd085e16f6dc46d54f12170944a&utm_source=c2r&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=peter_bill_oct&n=3>.
Commit2Respond invites everyone, regardless of religious affiliation or
lack thereof, to join us in our commitment to respond to the dangers of
climate change.

We saw the power of commitment among the hundreds of thousands who marched
in New York City. Our respect for the interdependent web of all existence
calls us to act. Please forward this e-mail to your friends and community
members and reach out to them on social media; invite them to join you in
signing up for Commit2Respond.
<http://www.commit2respond.org/join?e=78afbfd085e16f6dc46d54f12170944a&utm_source=c2r&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=peter_bill_oct&n=4>

In faith,

Rev. Peter Morales, UUA President, and Rev. Bill Schulz, UUSC President and
CEO
  -=-=-

Commit2Respond · United States
This email was sent to sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com. To stop receiving emails,
<http://sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com>click here