'Merchants of Doubt' viewing and discussion
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
On March 19 I invited MUUSJA folks to join a viewing and discussion of the
documentary 'Merchants of Doubt' that I'm hosting for folks from MN350 and
MN Interfaith Power & Light.  I've  now selected Saturday, April 12, as the
date for the event to avoid any conflict with Easter weekend.

Presently the film is screening at 1:45 pm at the Edina Cinema. (If that
changes, I'll let everyone know.) We'll meet in the lobby at 1:30.
Afterwards we'll troop over to the community room at the Lunds located at
3945 West 50th Street, which I've reserved for 4:00-7:00. If you come just
for the discussion, please park in the ramp, not the store lot. The store
has a Big Bowl Chinese Express as well as the usual assortment of foods for
those who get hungry.

We'll be using a study guide developed in conjunction with the documentary.
Here's the link:
http://www.poynter.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-03-06-Merchants-of-Doubt-College-Study-Guide1.pdf.
It has nine discussion sections with short supporting clips. My
pedagogically sophisticated approach will be to start at the beginning and
barrel through to the end. If any section speaks to you and you feel moved
to lead the discussion on that point, feel free to let me know or to barge
right in during the discussion.

In September 2013 Greenpeace put out an expose called *Dealing in Doubt:
The* *Climate Denial Machine Vs Climate Science*. Here's the link:
http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/Global/usa/report/Dealing%20in%20Doubt%202013%20-%20Greenpeace%20report%20on%20Climate%20Change%20Denial%20Machine.pdf.
It is a useful adjunct to the book and documentary. I know it is long
(though not as long as the book); feel free to peruse it if you have the
time and inclination.

If you've already seen the documentary, feel free to come for the
discussion only. Alternatively, feel free to come for the documentary and
skip the discussion. The community room seats 20-25; I hope a gaggle of
climate warriors will drop on by.