original mother's day
From: patty guerrero (pattypaxicloud.com)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 11:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
The Original Mother’s Day Proclamation
Julia Ward Howe
Available languages: Deutsch
<https://www.plough.com/de/themen/kultur/feiertage/muttertag/die-ursprungliche-ausrufung-des-muttertags>,
  Español
<https://www.plough.com/es/temas/cultura/dias-feriados/dia-de-la-madre/the-original-mother-s-day-proclamation>
Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.plough.com/en/topics/culture/holidays/mothers-day/the-original-mother-s-day-proclamation>
 Twitter
<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=The%20Original%20Mother%E2%80%99s%20Day%20Proclamation&url=https://www.plough.com/en/topics/culture/holidays/mothers-day/the-original-mother-s-day-proclamation>
 Pinterest <> Email <mailto:Address [at]
here.com?subject=I%20thought%20you'd%20be%20interested%20in%20this&body=Look%20at%20this%20from%20Plough%0D%0Ahttps://www.plough.com/en/topics/culture/holidays/mothers-day/the-original-mother-s-day-proclamation>
 WhatsApp
<https://web.whatsapp.com/send?text=https://www.plough.com/en/topics/culture/holidays/mothers-day/the-original-mother-s-day-proclamation>

21
 <>
While countries around the world celebrate their own Mother’s Day at different
times throughout the year, several countries, including the United States,
Italy, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, and Turkey celebrate it on the
second Sunday of May.

Arise, all women who have hearts!

In the United States, the origins of the official holiday go back to 1870, when
Julia Ward Howe – an abolitionist best remembered as the poet who wrote “Battle
Hymn of the Republic” – worked to establish a Mother’s Peace Day. Howe
dedicated the celebration to the eradication of war, and organized festivities
in Boston for years.

In 1907, Anna Jarvis, of Philadelphia, began the campaign to have Mother’s Day
officially recognized, and in 1914, President Woodrow Wilson did this,
proclaiming it a national holiday and a “public expression of our love and
reverence for all mothers.”

Today’s commercialized celebration of candy, flowers, gift certificates, and
lavish meals at restaurants bears little resemblance to Howe’s original idea.
There is nothing wrong with that. But here, for the record’s sake, is the
proclamation she wrote in 1870, which explains, in her own impassioned words,
the goals of the original holiday.

Arise, all women who have hearts, whether your baptism be that of water or of
tears! Say firmly: “We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant
agencies, our husbands shall not come to us, reeking with carnage, for caresses
and applause.

“Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we have been able to
teach them of charity, mercy and patience. We women of one country will be too
tender of those of another country to allow our sons to be trained to injure
theirs.”

From the bosom of the devastated earth a voice goes up with our own. It says,
“Disarm, disarm! The sword is not the balance of justice.” Blood does not wipe
out dishonor nor violence indicate possession.

As men have often forsaken the plow and the anvil at the summons of war, let
women now leave all that may be left of home for a great and earnest day of
counsel. Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the dead. Let
them then solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means whereby the
great human family can live in peace, each learning after his own time, the
sacred impress, not of Caesar, but of God.

In the name of womanhood and of humanity, I earnestly ask that a general
congress of women without limit of nationality may be appointed and held at
some place deemed most convenient and at the earliest period consistent with
its objects, to promote the alliance of the different nationalities, the
amicable settlement of international questions, the great and general interests
of peace.