Documents from communites will NOT be editable [was: let's get this...
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:38:44 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Andrew Netherton wrote:

> As for the document library, I think I'm going to step back from
> dictating how it should be set up.  I'm relatively new to cohousing
> and have likely done a small fraction of the reading many of you have,
> so I'm going to rely on your expertise for helping to set it up.  I'll
> just act as the front person to actually collect the information.

The thing that is most faciliated by having cohousing experience is the
logical structure of the topics - what terms, how broad , how narrow.
Some skill set like library skills (or similar) would also be very useful
of course.  What ever role you can and care to serve will be great.  That
the thing about collaboration we complement each others contributions.

> The one question I will ask is how can we ensure that the documents we
> make available as part of the document library are read-only?  The
> last thing I want is to have our "library" documents edited.  They
> should be available to copy, but not to edit.

Hmmm, I'll try again to expalin why I dont see this as a problem...
I dont expect documents will be stored "IN" the wiki but rather linked
from it.  So for example heres an example (in outline form on Pet
Policies)

http://wiki.cohousing.org/pet_policies (does not yet exist...)

Pet Policies tend to be one of the more contentious issues in cohousing
(along with _clothes lines_ and _building colors_), the really big issues
:)  There was a discussion of Pet policies on _cohousing-L_  <date/links>
Here links to several communites policies:
_Pet Policy, Trillium Hollow 2/25/06 (in list message)_
_Pet Policy, Stone Curves 4/20/03_

---- end example -----

Note that the last two lines are links to documents (one in a a
cohousing-L archived message) that can not be edited.

The wiki "contains" definitions, introductions, summaries etc that can
be edited not contributed documents tho the latter are linked to the
former.

Am I communicating yet?

Fred wiki.coho mgr  (a proposed description of my role...  Mostly the
semi techy behind the scenes guy (who will probably have manage passwords
and isp contact)

Communications for Justice - My listserv org.           UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)