Re: cohousing documents / wiki
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:07:47 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Andrew Netherton wrote:
( complete prev posts at:
http://lists.cohousing.org/archives/wiki-l/msg00013.html
http://lists.cohousing.org/archives/wiki-l/msg00014.html )

> >From my conversation with Donna Freiermuth, Coho/US wants to offer a
> "premium package" of starter information.  This would not be free, but
> available at reasonable cost.  From what I understand it would be a
> tailor-made starter kit, gleaned from all the submitted documentation
> that will eventually be on the wiki.

Thanks for the notes, Dirk and Andrew.  In addition to requiring more
effort to use the info in the wiki - ie you have to figure out what you
need to know - the Coho/US will be much more "vetted" . Tho the wiki
structure has "all eyes" looking for misinformation and correcting it,
it is possible - particularly temporarily for bum info to creep in.

I agree that tho they may offer much the same info (for the wiki that is
obviously only a hope at this point) it will be serving different needs.
As many groups have found out, paying a pro to help can SAVE so much time
and effort that it pays for itself.  A similar tradeoff could happen
between what Coho/US planns to offer and the wiki.

Therefore I conclude that there is room and need for both and that they
are complementary.

--- What we call the wiki ---

Hmmm, it is nice to have an easily used informative name but
Cohousingpedia or cohousingwikipedia are a bit of a mouth full.  Might be
that wiki.cohousing.org IS the best we can do. I've grown to like
heirarchical names. Tho names are contextual so within cohousing circles
it's likely to be just "the wiki" (assuming that it gets to be useful
enough to be widely known.

fred.harlan.olson who may be speaking to John Parsons about this in about
 an hour tho I've have not yet seen confirmation of that schedule (tho I
 have yet to plow thru my inbox completely today).

Communications for Justice - My listserv org.           UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)