Cohousing wiki hit with advertising edit
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:36:31 -0700 (PDT)
The main page was edited to have most of screen full of advertising
material:
23:27, 9 April 2007 200.238.102.162 (Talk) (Mobile phones get some amazing
deals)

I undid it.  I'm pondering setting the configuration to require
registration to edit. At least on a trial basis to gain experience in that
option. (Talk pages could still be edited without registration tho I'd
like to see people leave some identification there too.  I like to knw who
said what. And to require a valid email address and confirmation similar
to cohousing-L subscriptions.

I've just studied the details of how to do this a little so far:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access#Disable_anonymous_edits
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access#Questions (then search
for "valid" )

Cohousing-L posts from non subscribed addresses are held for my review
( I get email notice that there are messages to be reviewed. )
I dont know details of how Media wiki handles attempts to edit by non
registered people if it is configured to require registration.
It would be nice to allow people to amke edits but they would not
become accessaible till approved...

Closely related conceptially but unrelated directly... the NPR segment
Future Tense had an item on http://en.citizendium.org ( "CZ" ) a few days
ago which is like Wikipedia (and uses Mediawiki software) but aims to
improve on that model by adding "gentle expert oversight" and requiring
contributors to use their real names.

Earlier this morning (before discovering the ads on cohowiki)
I was exploring  CZ  (I'm generally sypathetic to the idea of encouraging
use of real names and identifying the source of communications
unless there is good reason not to, but I am undecided about the CZ
as an alternative to Wikipedia.)

BTW, I did finally get a no default logo on cohowiki tho it is just an
image with text that I made with Gimp.  (I am not very adept with Gimp.)

Fred

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org