Re: Editing and registration
From: Andrew Netherton (andrewnethertongmail.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
On 4/11/07, Philip Proefrock <architect [at] cornellbox.com> wrote:
Maybe we can allow some editing of minor pages without registration.

Spammers don't care where they stick their garbage, and it's just as inconvenient to remove spam from a "minor" page as it is from a major one - it's just less visible, is all.

I would strongly urge SOME form of identification to be required to
edit anything.

I think there's also a blacklist function in MediaWiki, and I would add
the logged IP address of the spammer to that list.

May not really accomplish much. Best to prevent them popping up in the first place than dealing with them after the fact. As you can probably tell, I'd rather be proactive at the expense of some accessibility than reactive. I honestly think it can get away from us much more quickly than anyone dreads.

Regards,
Andrew Netherton
Laurel Creek Commons
Waterloo, ON, Canada