#faarfortheclimate
From: Scott Jackson (sjackzen46gmail.com)
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:20:46 -0700 (PDT)
Perhaps you've read about #fastfortheclimate. Have you reflected on
participating? The description below is from the English website:
http://fastfortheclimate.org/en/. Here's the link to a Canadian initiative:
http://www.climatefast.ca/. And here's the link to Fast for the Earth,
started in South Dakota in 2012: http://www.fastfortheearth.com/.

I have reflected on participating, and concluded that I am willing -
enthusiastically wiling - to fast on the first day of every month, so I
have signed up. It would be great to do this with other MUUSJA
environmental activists. (Perhaps, if the agenda isn't totally cast in
cement, we can discuss it at tomorrow's meeting.)

Scott Jackson
sjackzen46 [at] gmail.com

When Typhoon Hai-yan had just devastated the Philippines in November last
year, climate commissioner Yeb Saño was at the UN climate talks in Warsaw.
His own family was caught up in the disaster that killed thousands and
destroyed homes and livelihoods across the country.

In a moving speech he said he would not eat until countries at the Warsaw
conference delivered actions that would ‘stop the madness’ of the climate
crisis.

Hundreds of others from around the world chose to fast with him in
solidarity.

Despite this, the Warsaw meeting saw countries, like Japan, actually
winding back their climate commitments, seemingly in denial that all
countries will need to commit and contribute to the comprehensive, global
climate action plan which is due in Paris in 2015.

The Fast For The Climate has grown into global movement with participation
of youth groups, environmental groups and faith-based groups, who all want
urgent action on climate change by governments this year.