progressive calendar 09.10.11 /2
From: David Shove (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 05:34:33 -0700 (PDT)
*         P R O G R E S S I V E   C A L E N D A R   09.10.11*

1. Fair economy   9.10 8am
2. AWC/FBI         9.10 10am
3. CUAPB            9.10 1:30pm
4. Northtown vigil  9.10 2pm

 5. Atheist talk      9.11 9am
 6. 9/11 questions 9.11 1pm
7. Stillwater vigil   9.11 1pm
 8. ArAm war play 9.11 4pm
.
 9. Robert Jensen - Imperial Delusions: Ignoring the Lessons of 9/11
10. ed                   bumpersticker

 --------1 of 10--------

Subject: Saturday September 10th, Summit for a Fair Economy
Minnesotans For A Fair Economy
Donna Cassutt MNFairEconomy.or
Fair economy 9.10 8am

I'm writing to invite you to join us for our upcoming Summit for a
Fair Economy.This one-day conference is focused on what we can do to rebuild
an
economy that will work for everyone in Minnesota. After 30 years of
growing income & wealth inequality and decreasing democratic control
of our economy, our state and nation have reached a point of crisis.
Ongoing racial disparities and increasing consolidation of economic &
political power have left our economy less stable and less prepared
for our future. We're extraordinarily pleased that conference presenters
include
former U.S. Labor Secretary Robert Reich, internationally recognized
authority on civil rights and civil liberties, Professor Jon A.
Powell and Stephen Lerner, an architect of the Justice for Janitors
campaign.
Join us as we discuss how we can rebuild the economy we need for our
state's next 30 years!

WHEN:  Saturday, September 10 at 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
WHAT:  A One-Day Conference on Rebuilding an Economy that Works for
Everyone in Minnesota
WHERE:  Southwest High School, 3414 West 47th Street, Minneapolis, Mn, 55410

<
http://action.mnfaireconomy.org/page/m/18a1cd39/1633dda/5e66704e/3892c08/1177721496/VEsH/
>Yes,
I'm going to be there on Saturday September 10th!
Space is limited so we ask that you RSVP as soon as possible.
,
Donna Cassutt MNFairEconomy.org
 Minnesotans For A Fair Economy
706 North 1st Street, Suite 110
Minneapolis, MN 55401

--------2 of 10--------

AWC/FBI  9.10 10am

Volunteers Needed:  Mailing Party for the Committee to Stop FBI
RepressionSaturday, Sept. 10 from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. @ AWC office -
1313 SE 5th St, Mpls

We are putting out a 1300-piece mailing and need lots of people to help us
mail out our fundraising letter & flyer for our 9/24 protest. It is great
way to get to know the activists in the struggle against political
repression ! The mailings will happen at the Anti-War Committee office, 1313
SE 5th St #112, Minneapolis, 55414. There will be cake.  Organized by the MN
Committee to Stop FBI Repression

---------3 of 10--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: CUAPB 9.10 1:30pm

Meetings: Every Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at Walker Church, 3104 16th Avenue
South http://www.CUAPB.org <http://www.cuapb.org/>

Communities United Against Police Brutality
3100 16th Avenue S
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Hotline 612-874-STOP (7867)

--------4 of 10--------

From: Vanka485 [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 9.10 2pm

Peace vigil at Northtown (Old Hwy 10 & University Av), every Saturday
2-3pm

 --------5 of 10--------

Atheist talk 9.11 9am

Sunday, September 11, 9:00am-10:00am  “Atheists Talk” Radio
AM 950 KTNF in the Twin Cities or stream live at http://www.am950ktnf.com.

Guest:  CJ Werleman, “Koran Curious.”  Contact us during the show with
questions or comments at (952) 946-6205 or radio [at] mnatheists.org.

--------6 of 10--------

9/11 questions 9.11 1pm

Tenth Anniversary September 11th Event
“Ten Years Later and Questions Remain”
Sunday, September 11th, 2011       1 pm to 4 pm
Rotunda of the State Capitol, St. Paul, MN

Featured speakers will be:
    Jim Fetzer, McKnight Professor Emeritus at the University of Minnesota
Duluth and founder of Scholars for 9/11 Truth
   Kevin Barrett, Wisconsin author, radio show host and co-founder of the
Muslim-Christian Alliance for 9/11 Truth
   Mike Palecek of Duluth, a former Catholic seminarian at the University of
St. Thomas in St. Paul and award-winning Minnesota journalist, prolific
author, and co-host of the internet radio show “The New American Dream.”
    Farheen Hakeem,  Muslim Activist
    Michael Cavlan, 9/11 Medical First Responder

The event will also include live musical and spoken word performances, along
with 9/11 Truth videos and exhibits.  The rotunda gathering will be open to
the public free of charge.

-------7 of 10--------

 From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 9.11 1pm

A weekly Vigil for Peace Every Sunday, at the Stillwater bridge from 1- 2
p.m.  Come after Church or after brunch ! All are invited to join in song
and witness to the human desire for peace in our world. Signs need to be
positive.  Sponsored by the St. Croix Valley Peacemakers.

If you have a United Nations flag or a United States flag please bring it.
Be sure to dress for the weather . For more information go to
<
http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/>http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/
For more information you could call 651 275 0247 or 651 999 - 9560

--------8 of 10--------

Arab/Am war play 9.11 4pm

Pangea World Theater and MIZNA presents on the 10th anniversary of September
11
ZAFIRA THE OLIVE OIL WARRIOR Written by Kathryn Haddad
Directed by Dipankar Mukherjee

It is the not so distant future and suicide bombers have hit simultaneous
cities across the United States. Arab and Muslim Americans are official
enemies of the state and have been ordered into internment camps. ZAFIRA
tells the story of one Arab American woman?s experience leading up to,
during, and after her internment.

Performances
Opening: Sept. 11, 4 p.m.
Preview: Sept. 10, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 15 - Oct. 2: Thursdays - Saturdays at
7:30 p.m.; Sundays at 4 p.m.
Post-performance discussions on September 11 and on Friday and Saturday
nights. Pre-performance discussions on Sundays at 2 p.m. in the lobby of the
Avalon Theatre. Discussions are co-sponsored by Mizna.

Avalon Theatre
(In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre)
1500 E. Lake St., Minneapolis
Tickets: $18 general; $15 for students, seniors, and groups.
Call Brown Paper Tickets at 1-800-838-3006 or purchase online (
http://pangea.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=SDScbQKDAAEAAA2CAAVS7w ) .
Reservations are recommended!
For more information, visit
http://pangeaworldtheater.org/performances/zafira/
Pangea World Theater
Contact:
http://pangea.pmailus.com/pmailweb/f?cide=Aecebe3LOhEzL0BB2w

--------9 of 10--------

commondreams
Imperial Delusions: Ignoring the Lessons of 9/11
 *by *Robert Jensen <http://www.commondreams.org/robert-jensen>* *

Ten years ago, critics of America’s mad rush to war were right, but it
didn’t matter.

Within hours after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, it was clear that political
leaders were going to use the attacks to justify war in Central Asia and the
Middle East. And within hours, those of us critical of that policy began to
offer principled and practical arguments against aggressive war as a
response to the crimes.

It didn’t matter because neither the public nor policymakers were interested
in principled or practical arguments. People wanted revenge, and the
policymakers seized the opportunity to use U.S. military power. Critical
thinking became a mark not of conscientious citizenship but of dangerous
disloyalty.

We were right, but the wars came.

The destructive capacity of the U.S. military meant quick “victories” that
just as quickly proved illusory. As the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq dragged
on, it became clearer that the position staked out by early opponents was
correct -- the wars not only were illegal (conforming to neither
international nor constitutional law) and immoral (fought in ways that
guaranteed large-scale civilian casualties and displacement), but a failure
on any pragmatic criteria. The U.S. military has killed some of the people
who were targeting the United States and destroyed some of their
infrastructure and organization, but a decade later we are weaker and our
sense of safety more fragile. The ability to dominate militarily proved to
be both inadequate and transitory, as predicted.

Ten years later, we are still right and it still doesn’t matter.

There’s a simple reason for this: Empires rarely learn in time, because
power tends to dull people’s capacity for critical self-reflection. While
ascending to power, empires believe themselves to be invincible. While
declining in power, they cling desperately to old myths of remembered glory.

Today the United States is morally bankrupt and spiritually broken. The
problem is not that we have strayed from our founding principles, but that
we are still operating on those principles -- delusional notions about
manifest destiny, American exceptionalism, the right to take more than our
share of the world’s resources by whatever means necessary. As the United
States grew in wealth and power, bounty for the chosen came at the cost of
misery for the many.

After World War II, as the United States became the dominant power not just
in the Americas but on the world stage, the principles didn’t change. U.S.
foreign policy sought to deepen and extend U.S. power around the world,
especially in the energy-rich and strategically crucial Middle East; always
with an eye on derailing any Third World societies’ attempts to pursue a
course of independent development outside the U.S. sphere; and containing
the possibility of challenges to U.S. dominance from other powerful states.

Does that summary sound like radical hysteria? Recall this statement from
President Jimmy Carter’s 1980 State of the Union address: “An attempt by any
outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as
an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such
an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military
force.” Democrats and Republicans, before and after, followed the same
policy.

The George W. Bush administration offered a particularly intense ideological
fanaticism, but the course charted by the Obama administration is much the
same. Consider this 2006 statement by Robert Gates, who served as Secretary
of Defense in both administrations: “I think the message that we are sending
to everyone, not just Iran, is that the United States is an enduring
presence in this part of the world. We have been here for a long time. We
will be here for a long time and everybody needs to remember that -- both
our friends and those who might consider themselves our adversaries.”

If the new boss sounds a lot like the old boss, it’s because the problem
isn’t just bad leaders but a bad system. That’s why a critique of today’s
wars sounds a lot like critiques of wars past. Here’s Martin Luther King,
Jr.’s assessment of the imperial war of his time: “[N]o one who has any
concern for the integrity and life of America today can ignore the present
war. If America’s soul becomes totally poisoned, part of the autopsy must
read: Vietnam. It can never be saved so long as it destroys the deepest
hopes of men the world over.”

Will our autopsy report read “global war on terror”?

That sounds harsh, and it’s tempting to argue that we should refrain from
political debate on the 9/11 anniversary to honor those who died and to
respect those who lost loved ones. I would be willing to do that if the
cheerleaders for the U.S. empire would refrain from using the day to justify
the wars of aggression that followed 9/11. But given the events of the past
decade, there is no way to take the politics out of the anniversary.

We should take time on 9/11 to remember the nearly 3,000 victims who died
that day, but as responsible citizens, we also should face a harsh reality:
While the terrorism of fanatical individuals and groups is a serious threat,
much greater damage has been done by our nation-state caught up in its own
fanatical notions of imperial greatness.

That’s why I feel no satisfaction in being part of the anti-war/anti-empire
movement. Being right means nothing if we failed to create a more just
foreign policy conducted by a more humble nation.

Ten years later, I feel the same thing that I felt on 9/11 -- an
indescribable grief over the senseless death of that day and of days to
come.

                                               9/11 the ruling class

                                               clove. shove. clove