Progressive Calendar 05.01.12 /2
From: David Shove (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 10:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
 *P R O G R E S S I V E   C A L E N D A R   05.01.12*
*May Day!*
1. General Strike/MayDay 5.01 10am+
 2. Worker rights march     5.01 3:30pm
3. Stop FBI/CTV              5.01 5pm
4. Salon                          5.01 6:30pm
5. Palestine events           5.01-06

6. Dave Bicking - General update on Occupy
7. ed                - May Day  (haiku)

--------1 of 7--------

Dave Bicking dave [at] colorstudy.com
General Strike/MayDay 5.01 10am+

>From the major media, you would think that the Occupy movement has faded
away.  It's true that we haven't been able to maintain as visible a public
presence.  But the movement has been very active over the winter and it
remains a powerful force.  The Minneapolis Occupy has been working on many
fronts, more than any one person could keep up with.  I'm sorry I haven't
been passing along the information for the last few months.

The next [2] days are particularly important.  Below is a quick calendar,
followed by [see item 6 below] a summary of what Occupy is doing, and
background on each of
the upcoming events.  Please join us!

***** Tuesday, May 1, all day:  May Day General Strike!  No work, no
school, no shopping.  Gather with Occupy and others to build our power.
Solidarity with similar actions around the country and around the world.
Activities in Loring Park, Minneapolis, starting at 10am.  "A Day Without
the 99%"  meaning, they need us, we don't need the 1%.

  Actions at, or starting at, Loring Park on May 1:

     10am:  Opening action and Welcome
     11am:  SEIU Action
     12:30pm  Occupy Homes action - I believe it's a march to the nearby
     house of Richard
Davis, CEO of US Bank.
     2pm:  Minnesota Immigrant Freedom Network teach-in and action
     6:30pm:  Dinner and Performances
     10pm:  Noise demo and march, in solidarity with prisoners and ICE
     detainees.

** Tuesday, May 1, 3:30pm  Immigrant Rights march, starting at Lake &
Nicollet Aves., Mpls.  This is a large and important march every May Day,
and is national in scope.

** Tuesday, May 1, 5:30pm  Food and Retail Workers United March,
starting from Powderhorn Park, 15th Ave. S. & 34th St., Mpls.  (I think
this is the same location as the end of the Immigrant Rights march.)

*** Wednesday, May 2, 1:30pm  Hearing on Concil member Barbara Johnson's
Resolution that would restrict activities and free speech at city plazas.
Hearing held in Council Chambers, Room 317 City Hall, Mpls, at the meeting
of the Public Safety Committee.  This resolution is a direct reaction to
the "Re-Occupation" at Peavey Plaza, April 7, and to the police repression
and arrests that followed.  We need a large crowd, to protect our rights,
and also the rights of the homeless who would also be impacted.  I
guarantee this will be a very interesting hearing.

** Wednesday, May 2, 6 - 8pm, and every Wednesday:  Occupy Minneapolis
All- Committee meeting, basement of Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave. S.,
Mpls.  A great opportunity to find out what is happening with many aspects
of Occupy, and plug in to the work.  Pick a committee to work with!

*** Friday, May 4, 6 - 9pm  Foreclosure-Free BBQ and potluck, at the
Cruz house, 4044 Cedar Ave., Mpls.  Meet the family, the neighbors, and
the community who are working to keep this family in their home.

*** Saturday, May 5, 2pm  Occupy Homes general meeting, at Minnehaha
Free Space, 3458 Minnehaha Ave., Mpls.  This normally meets every Sunday,
but moved to Saturday this week to not conflict with the May Day Parade.
Your help is needed!  This is a growing and surprisingly successful
campaign!
[for the rest of the post, see item 6 below -ed]

--------2 of 7--------

From: "Michelle Gross" mgresist [at] visi.com  CUAPB
Worker rights march 5.01 3:30pm

MARCH FOR IMMIGRANT AND WORKER'S RIGHTS
on International Workers Day
May 1 at 3:30 p.m.
Lake Street & Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis
Join with MIRAc and many others for the annual march for immigrant &
workers rights on International Workers Day. Gather for this year’s march
at 3:30 pm at Lake Street & Nicollet Ave in Minneapolis.
WE NEED YOUR HELP: We [CUABP] are not only sponsoring the event but are
providing copwatchers to keep people secure.  We need at least 12-14 people
to do copwatch at the event.  If you can help with copwatch, meet us on May
1 at 2:45 p.m. at Walker Church, 3100 16th Ave S, Minneapolis to carpool
together to the intersection.  We will do a copwatch/know your rights
training at 3 p.m. at the site of the launch of the march.
CONTACT: "Michelle Gross" mgresist [at] visi.com

--------3 of 7--------

From: Eric Angell
Stop FBI/CTV 5.01 5pm

Committee to Stop FBI Repression (CSFR) Benefit Concert - part 2"
the 2nd of a 3-parter.  the RUNNING RIOT performs original and cover
songs. spoken words from Twin Cities' activist Misty Rowan, a little dance
done by an "FBI" puppet, and, lastly, several offerings by the talented
William Within. (recorded mid-feb, mpls)
online at our new web site (check it!):
http://ourworldindepth.org/episodes/2012/04/csfr-benefit-concert-running-riot

SPNN 15 viewers:
"Our World In Depth" cablecasts on St. Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN)
Channel 15 on Tuesdays at 5pm, midnight and Wednesday mornings at 10am,
after DemocracyNow!  Households with basic cable may watch.
** Tues, 5/1, @ 5pm & midnight + Wed, 5/2, 10am
"Committee to Stop FBI Repression (CSFR) Benefit Concert - part 2"

"Our World In Depth" features analysis of public affairs with
consideration of and participation from Twin Cities area activists.  "Our
World In Depth" is locally produced and not corporately influenced.  Order
a dvd copy or contact us at ourworldindepth [at] gmail.com.

  --------4 of 7--------

From: patty pattypax [at] earthlink.net via justcomm.org
Salon 5.01 6:30pm

HI ,   Well, after a hiatus of 2 months,  the salons will start again next
Tuesday, May 1.   The topic will just be Open Conversation and we can all
tell each other what we did for the past 8 Tuesday nights.  (or something a
bit more interesting and important) .  Hope to see you.

Pax Salons ( http://justcomm.org/pax-salon )
are held (unless otherwise noted in advance):
Tuesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
Mad Hatter's Tea House,
943 W 7th, St Paul, MN
Call 651-227-3228 or 651-227-2511 for information.

--------5 of 7--------

Charles & Hertha Lutz chlutz1 [at] comcast.net
Palestine events 5.01-06

    May 1-6, Palestinian Art Festival in Mpls: features Pr. Mitri Raheb
from Christmas Lutheran in Bethlehem, Diyar Dance Theater Group, “Room for
Hope” art exhibition, new Palestinian music, short-film festival. Daily
schedule—
• Tuesday 1st, 7-9:30pm. Pastor Raheb speaks at Bethlehem Lutheran, 4100
Lyndale Av. S. Free.
• Thursday 3rd, 12noon, “Playing for Peace” by Patrick McGrann, developer
(currently in Gaza) of play-events for youth living amid violence, at Town
Hall Forum, Westminster Presbyterian, 1200 Marquette Av. S. Preceded by
half hour of Palestinian music at 11:30am. Free.
• Thursday 3rd, 7:30pm. Diyar Dance Theater at Woman’s Club, 410 Oak Grove
St. Tickets $10. Dessert reception follows performance. Woman’s Club
welcomes visitors for dinner prior to show, from 5pm on—call 612-813-5300.
• Friday 4th, 6-7:30pm. “Room for Hope” art exhibition opening reception,
at Westminster Presbyterian. Exhibition created via call for art expressing
hope, from artists in Gaza, West Bank, abroad. Also: Palestinian
music/poetry. Free.
• Saturday 5th, 11am, at Dittman Center Dance Studio 1, St. Olaf College,
Northfield: Diyar Dance Theater will perform. Event will begin with
comments by Rev. Dr. Mitri Raheb, pastor of Christmas Lutheran Church and
president of Diyar Consortium. Free. More info: Gordon Olson at 507-301-3130.

• Saturday 5th, 1-4pm. Festival of Palestinian short films at Westminster
Presbyterian. Many of the films were created by students at the Lutherans’
Dar-al-Kalima College and International Center of Bethlehem. Free.
• Saturday 5th, 5:30pm. Pastor Raheb preaches at worship, Central Lutheran,
333 12th St. S. Reception and book-signing follow.
• Sunday 6th, 10:30am. Pastor Raheb preaches at worship, Westminster
Presbyterian. Service also features world premiere of commissioned music.
• Friday, May 4 (and every Friday), 4:15-5:30pm, weekly vigil for
liberation of Palestine continues at St. Paul’s Snelling/Summit
intersection.
   Saturday, May 12, at Southdale Library, 7001 York Av. S., Edina: Middle
East Peace Now offers “The Special Relationship,” a presentation by Alex
Vella. It looks at how Israeli leaders, past and present, manipulate this
relationship to the detriment of U.S. interest and standing in the world.
It explores a one-sided relationship and how Israel uses its influence,
money and military might – provided by U.S. taxpayers – to do as it
pleases, regardless of cost to U.S. Refreshments 9:30am, program at 10.
More info: Dixie Vella, 952-941-1341
CMEP-MN coordinator is Dr. Brad Holt, holtb [at] augsburg.edu. This newsletter
is edited by Chuck Lutz, assoc. coordinator. To add or remove an address,
contact Chuck at 612-861-6648, chlutz1 [at] comcast.net

--------6 of 7--------

Dave Bicking dave [at] colorstudy.com
GENERAL UPDATE ON OCCUPY

This week may be a particularly busy week for Occupy Minneapolis, but it
gives a fair impression of the work that is being done.  Occupy is more
than just a visible encampment.  It is a general challenge to a system
that is rigged against the 99%.  We may still work for change within that
system.  But we know that the 1% hold the real power in that system, and
they will change the rules, or ignore the rules, whenever we start to
challenge them effectively.

So we need to also be in the streets and in the plazas.  We need to
disrupt "business as usual".  We need to engage in civil disobedience and
direct action.  We need to be the sand in the gears, we need to stop the
smooth workings of a machine that is designed to exploit us, steal from
us, deny us economic security, housing, ediucation, medical care, and
other needs.  We need to demand to be heard; we need to make our
government serve us, not the other way around.

The physical occupations of public space were very important for the
growth and effectiveness of Occupy.  The strength and broad appeal of the
movement could neither be denied nor ignored.  It was a chance for us to
meet and discuss and discover common ground among people.  There are many
people I work with now who I would have never met otherwise.  For years
the movement had been criticized as ineffective for having occasional
large demonstrations and then going home.  But when we Occupied and did
not go home, we were criticized for that.

The reaction of the government was inevitable.  When challenged, the first
response is repression.  Occupy Minneapolis was based on the Hennepin
County plaza downtown.  The county came up with increasingly strict rules
to keep us from staying.  The space we could use was restricted, many of
our belongings were confiscated, and eventually they even reneged on their
commitment to let us have signs.  With the coming of winter and the
inability to use any shelter, our presence became untenable.

Starting on April 7, we have attempted to "re-Occupy" at Peavey Plaza and
Loring Park, under the jurisdictions of the city and of the Park Board,
respectively.  The city responded with force immediately.  Despite a
statement from police ahead of time that tents would be legal as long as
we did not sleep in them, police forced us to remove them that evening.
The police made a show of overwhelming force - dozens of squad cars,
command vehicles, a bus for arrestees, and more.  All showing up to
confiscate a half dozen tents and a canopy.  A dozen arrests were made as
we left the plaza with the tents.  This was a pre-planned attempt at
intimidation.

The crackdown on Occupy is clearly coordinated across the country,
following a similar model in most cities.  Only a few cities have been
able to continue a round-the-clock physical presence.  But hundreds of
cities have kept up a thriving Occupy movement.  We continue to oppose the
rule of money in politics, the bank bailouts, the corrupt financial
system, the wars, the burden of student debt, and much more.  Occupiers
have been at our State Capitol, working for a moratorium on foreclosures,
for more progressive taxation, against cuts in social services, and
against the Vikings stadium.  We have protested against the NDAA, sitting
in at the Obama campaign headquarters.

Like most movements that challenge the system, we have had to spend too
much time just defending our right to exist, to speak out, to gather, and
to act.  But it has to be done.  This Wednesday's hearing is important.
After the arrests on April 7, the City Council president, Barb Johnson,
tried to quickly push through a change to the rules for use of the city's
plazas.  We showed up in large numbers at the Council meeting on short
notice, and the Council voted to refer it to the Public Safety Committee
for a public hearing.  We really need a large presence on Wednesday at
1:30pm to keep the pressure on.  You will have the opportunity to comment
for 2 minutes if you like.  For the text of the resolution and some good
arguments against it, see Cam Gordon's blog at:
http://secondward.blogspot.com/2012/04/resolution-targeting-occupy-use-of.
html and a follow up at:
http://secondward.blogspot.com/2012/04/plaza-resolution-sent-to-committee.
html

There has been continued police harrassment of people gathered at Peavey
Plaza.  Please help us stop this.

OCCUPY HOMES

Perhaps the biggest thing that has come out of Occupy locally, and the
most successful, is the Occupy Homes movement.  This is aimed at the
fraudulent practices of the banks that are foreclosing on home owners,
evicting them, and tearing apart our neighborhoods.  With our support,
individual homeowners are standing up to the banks.  And they are winning!

Monique White in north Mpls was expecting to be evicted in December.
Occupiers stayed at her house, set up tents on the lawn, canvassed the
neighborhood, and held neighborhood meetings.  The goal has been to get
the bank to negotiate with her.  She is still in her house!  Recently,
with Occupy help, she confronted the CEO of US bank at the annual
shareholder meeting and forced him to meet with her personally.  Bank
officers are finally talking to her, and she feels confident she will save
her house.

Bobby Hull in south Mpls heard about Occupy Homes as we canvassed his
neighborhood.  He was in foreclosure and the bank was refusing to work
with him for a feasible payment schedule.  He signed up with Occupy Homes
to resist eviction.  He was well-known in the neighborhood and received a
lot of support.  He was supposed to be evicted on February 17.  The bank
backed down and he is still in his home.

John Vinge in Bloomington had a sherriff's sale of his house scheduled for
April 9.  About 50 of us showed up at City Hall for the sale.  It was
clear that any buyer would have to deal with us if they wanted to take
possession of the house.  The sale was "postponed" for 9 weeks, and is
unlikely to occur.  The bank is suddenly more reasonable and willing to
negotiate.

We can't solve the foreclosure crisis one house at a time.  What we can do
is call attention to the problem and the practices of the banks, to create
pressure for changes in the system.  In San Francisco, a recent audit
found that over 80% of foreclosures were fraudulent, and most of the rest
lacked essential documentation.  The city unanimously passed a resolution
for a foreclosure moratorium.  We are creating the pressure for reform,
and we in Minneapolis have been an inspiration for similar programs in
many other cities.  As we fight for systemic change, in the meantime we
have the satisfaction of concrete successes in inividual cases.  This is
hugely beneficial to the families and neighborhoods involved, and over 100
other homeowners have indicated a desire to resist foreclosure.

To keep up, we desperately need more volunteers for outreach in
neighborhoods, for eviction defense, for coming to sherriff sales, etc.
Please come to one of the events this week, or come to one of the weekly
general meetings on Sundays at 2pm (except this week, on Saturday).

We also have lawn signs for Occupy Homes, saying Stop Foreclosures, Stop
Evictions.  Many are up in the neighborhoods around the homeowners we have
been working with.  For visibility, we need them everywhere!  If you have
a lawn or other visible spot for a sign, please contact me to get one.

THE CRUZ HOME

This is our most urgent situation: they could be evicted by the police at
any time.  Here is what has been written about their case and what can be
done:

Friends and neighbors,

Today an eviction notice was posted at the home of the Cruz family,
meaning the sheriff or police could come to attempt to evict the home
starting Monday. But this time, when the sheriff shows up, Occupy Homes MN
will be there standing with the Cruz family. If the bank thinks they are
going to evict the Cruz family this week, they have another thing coming.
However, for us to be successful in defending the Cruz home, we need you!

Please join us for an emergency rally and kick off of the physical
occupation of the home. We will begin to further develop a plan to
defend the home and fill roles following the rally, then we will hold a
vigil at the home that night.

Monday, April 30th:
Rally  2:00 - 4:00pm
Home Defense Planning 5:30 - 8:00pm
Candle Light Vigil for the Cruz Family: 8:30pm - 10:00pm
4044 Cedar Ave. S

Please take three actions right now to help save the Cruz family's
home:

1) Text @OccupyHomes to 23559 to receive a text message the instant
police come to evict, so you know the exact moment that we need to
rally to defend the home.  [For those of you who don't text, email your
contact phone number and/or email to Chris Gray at gray0005 [at] gmail.com]

2) Call Brad German, PR executive for Freddie Mac
at 703-903-2437  today to tell them to halt the
eviction of the Cruz family so that PNC Bank can negotiate a real
solution to keep them in their home as owners. Call and email Tony
Morante (anthony.morante [at] pncmortgage.com) - AVP, Market Sales
Manager PNC Bank at  412-858-4075  to demand they work
out a settlement with the Cruz family immediately.

3) Call and email Mayor Rybak (mayor [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us) at (612)
673-2100  and tell him not to use his police to carry out the
dirty work of the banks, evicting community members who can afford to pay
a mortgage, while the bank refuses to negotiate a reasonable solution with
them.

Background:

Alejandra, David, and their family have lived in their South
Minneapolis home for the past 7 years. Alejandra and David have fought for
years to support the Dream Act which would help undocumented students to
gain access to higher education, now they are leading the fight to save
their parents' home. Drawing inspiration from the sacrifices their parents
made for them, Alejandra and her brother David became tireless advocates
for immigrant rights and equal access to education for all youth. Her
family has fought hard for equality, and they are unfortunately not able
to stop fighting, as they have seen the housing crisis disproportionally
affect people of color, immigrants, and other marginalized groups.

Alejandra, her brother David, and their parents made their monthly
mortgage payments regularly for 7 years via online withdrawal from a
checking account. One month last year, their lender, PNC Bank, failed to
withdraw the monthly mortgage payment after the family sent it in. When
the family noticed that the money hadn´t been withdrawn, they called the
bank to make the payment. Although it wasn´t their fault the payment was
technically late, the bank still demanded 2 months' payments as punishment
for being late. Unable to pay more than the current month's payment, which
is all that should have been owed at the time, the family home went into
foreclosure.

The foreclosure crisis has had devastating effects on the Latino
community, and until now, many families have been afraid to stand up
when they are being mistreated by the banks that have been fraudulently
foreclosing on families across the country. The banks have used this fear
and manipulation of a complicated legal system to profit from honest, hard
working people. Today we are saying enough is enough. We will not leave
our homes until PNC and Bank of America come to the table to negotiate a
solution to keep our families in their homes.

The Cruz family wants to keep their home and wants the bank to
negotiate in good faith a reasonable settlement for their mortgage.
Together with Occupy Homes we will defend their home from foreclosure and
force the bank to do what is right instead of trying to silence them. They
know that if more people stand up for their rights like Alejandra and her
family the banks will be forced to do the right thing for all home owners
across the country.

Thank you for your support,
Occupy Homes MN
MORE INFORMATION
For local information and events calendar, go to
http://www.occupyminneapolis.mn/
and/or
http://www.occupymn.org/
There is a lot of inspiring action all over the country, and even around
the world.  I like to follow the frequent posts at:
http://occupywallst.org/ The coverage concentrates on New York City, but
there is news from other major cities as well.
    -  Dave Bicking

May Day

Show your love! Gesture
at the One PerCent with the
finger of your choice!

[Even ruder gestures etc etc are stongly encouraged!]

Shove Trove