WAMM Peace Calendar May 14 - June 25| How many steps to peace?
From: Women Against Military Madness (wammmtn.org)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 14:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
photo Tom Bottolene

[1]WAMM 8th Annual Walk Against Weapons

May 30th, 10:30, Perkins at Riverside Avenue and I-94

Still looking forward to that [2]Pentagon Bake Sale[3]... .

WAMM EVENTS

1. WAMM Friday Vigil for Free Palestine (see venue change this week) 5/15

2. PEACEMAKER GATHERING: A conversation with Sami Rasouli and Marie and
John Braun on Peacemaking 5/16

3. WAMM Book Club: All the Shah's Men  5/16

4. WAMM Weekly Vigil for Peace  5/20

5. Fly Kites, Not Drones!  5/23

6. WAMM 8th Annual Walk Against Weapons  5/30

[4]Download your Sponsor Sheet Now[5]! Or [6]Donate to support a
Walker.

7. Tackling Torture at the Top Video Contest Ends June 1st!

COALITION EVENTS

8. AI Nakba Protest: Say No to U.S. Aid to Isreal! 5/15

ALSO OF INTEREST / Looking Ahead

9.  A Celebration of the Monahan Brothers: Walking the Walk, Talking the
Talk of Democracy 5/16

10.  The Path to Nonviolence: One Man's Journey with Steve McKeown 5/18

11. Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions: A Global Struggle for Palestinian
Rights 5/30

12. Tar Sands Resistance March and Rally  6/6

Cmmttee., endorsed by the [7]WAMM Middle East Committee.  FFI: Call
612-827-5364

2.  PEACEMAKER GATHERING: A conversation with Sami Rasouli and Marie and
John Braun on Peacemaking

Saturday, May 16th, 10 am to 5 pm.  [8]Echo Valley Farm, Ontario, WI.  In
the midst of war and in the midst of ignorance, people of peace find one
another. We are creating the possibility of a new story to be written. A
story of courage, of love and of kindness.  You are warmly welcomed to
spend the day with Sami Rasouli, founder of the [9]Iraqi and American
Reconciliation Project and with 2012 Peacemakers of the Year [10]Marie and
John Braun.  Music by Mark Heffernan.  There is no cost for the gathering.
Meals for $5.  Sponsored by [11]End War Committee of WAMM and Echo Valley
Farm.  FFI:  612-275-2720, 612-827-5364 or 651-633-2743.

3. WAMM Book Club - Great reads and discussions with good people!
Saturday, May 16,10:00 to 11:30 a.m. Afro Deli, 1939 S 5th Street,
Minneapolis. The WAMM Book Club meets every third Saturday of the month.
The Book Club is reading [12]All the Shah's Men, by Stephen Kinzer. Check
out MayDay Books for your own copy. Sponsored by: The WAMM Book Club. FFI:
Call 612-827-5364

4. WAMM Weekly Vigil for Peace

Wednesday, May 20, Lake St/Marshall Ave Peace Bridge over Mississippi, 5:00
- 6:00 pm.  For just an hour of your time, you can be part of one of the
longest running peace vigils in the US! Rain, sleet, snow or the beautiful
weather of our MN spring and summer, we'll have a sign and a pat on the
back ready for you!  Sponsored by Women Against Military Madness and Twin
Cities Peace Campaign.  FFI: 612-275-2720 or 612-827-5364.

5. Fly Kites, Not Drones!
Saturday, May 23 (rain day May 24), 1:00-3:00p  at Lake Calhoun near
concessions & boat launch.  Bring the kids, we'll bring the kites.
Decorate and fly kites, have fun and remind people our beautiful, open
skies should not be filled with killer drones. Sponsored by WAMM [13]Ground
All Drones Committee.  FFI: 612-827-5364 and [14]website.

6. WAMM 8th Annual Walk Against Weapons - Stop Militarizing US Society!
Saturday, May 30th, 10:30 am, rain or shine.

Meet up at Perkins, Riverside and I-94, Mpls.  WAMM has, for decades, been
vigilant against US war on peoples anywhere.  We are alarmed that the same
[15]weapons of war we deplore, yet pay for, [16]have come home to be used
in the US by federal, state, county and local law enforcement.  We will
walk against all weapons, including the use of drones for surveillance, and
for an [17]end to war profiteering.  If you can't walk with us [18]visit
our website to donate or sponsor.  FFI: 612-827-5364. [19]Download
flyer/pledge sheets.

7. Tackling Torture at the Top Video Contest

WAMM’s [20]Tackling Torture at the Top (T3) committee announces a video
contest on the subject of torture and torture accountability. The jury
consists of international experts on film and on the torture issue,
including Prof. Peter Kuznick, American University, co-writer of the 10
part TV series “The Untold History of the United States” (2012), Sebastian
Doggart, director of the critically acclaimed documentary “American Faust:
>From Condi to Neo-Condi” (2009), longtime peace activist, Andy Worthington,
and Joseph Jolton, Minneapolis filmmaker and instructor video arts at
Minneapolis College of Art and Design and the Blake School. Winners will be
feted at Twin Cities events on June 26th, the UN-designated Torture
Awareness Day. Deadline: June 1, 2015. FFI: Visit [21]Tackling Torture.

_________________

photo Sue Ann Martinson

Come chat with us all summer long at Midtown Farmers' Market.

A side of fresh, peaceful ideas to go with that fresh, peaceful produce!

_______________

COALITION EVENTS

8. Al Nakba Protest: Say No to U.S. Aid to Israel!

Friday, May 15, 4:30 p.m. outside the office of Senator Klobuchar, 1200
Washington Ave S., Mpls. May 15, 1948, marked the end of British Mandate
over Palestine, and the establishment of the state of Israel on Palestinian
land. This day is marked as Al Nakba, Arabic for The Catastrophe. During
the 1948 war, at least 750,000 Palestinian men, women, and children were
ruthlessly attacked, massacred, and driven from their homes into refugee
camps, and have never been allowed to return, in violation of international
law. From 1948 through 2013, Israel had received $233.7 billion in U.S.
aid, which is used to occupy Palestine. That number compounds every day, as
2015 marks 67 years of US-backed Israeli occupation. Show your solidarity
with Palestine, say NO to U.S. aid to Israel. Sponsored by Anti-War
Committee, endorsed by the [22]Middle East Committee of WAMM.

ALSO OF INTEREST  / L O O K I N G   A H E A D

9.  A [23]Celebration of the Monahan Brothers: Walking the Walk, Talking
the Talk of Democracy.

Saturday, May 16th, 1-4 pm.  2-2:30, Tribute to Laird's and Robin's
activism and a Call to Action.  East Side Freedom Library, 1105 Greenbrier
St., St. Paul, MN.  On May 16, 2010 Laird and Robin Monahan began a walk
across the country to draw attention to the corrupting influence that big
money and the court-created doctrine of corporate constitutional rights
([24]Citizens United) have on our democracy. Co-Sponsored by MN Move to
Amend State Network, Friends for a Nonviolent World, Occupy St. Paul, MN
Alliance of Peacemakers and Veterans for Peace, Chapter 27.

10. The Path to Nonviolence:  One Man's Journey, with Steve McKeown

Monday, May 18th, 6:30 pm.  St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 4537 3rd Ave.
S., Mpls.  Steve McKeown is a Vietnam War Vet, long-time peace activist and
founding member of Veterans for Peace, Chapter 27.  Coming from a faith
perspective, he has worked on a number of issues, including disarmament of
conventional and nuclear weapons; has been involved in the movement to
close the School of the Americas; promoted Armistice Day remembrances and
has educated others about the [25]Kellogg-Briand Pact which outlaws war.
In his talk, Steve will share stories about certain people who have had a
profound and spiritual influence on him in his peace work.  Sponsored by
Every Church a Peace Church.  FFI:  [26]website

11. Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions: Global Struggle for Palestinian
Rights

Saturday, May 30, 9:30 a.m. refreshments, 10:00 a.m. panel and discussion.
5440 Penn Ave., S., Mpls., Lutheran Church of Christ the Redeemer.  A
panel, including Phil Benson, lawyer for the effort to make Minnesota
divest from its Israeli bonds, will discuss the growing call for
individuals and entities to stop investing in and supporting companies and
governments that aid the oppression of Palestinian citizens, including our
own state of Minnesota's investment in Israeli Bonds. Phil will be joined
by Maher Alrai, to speak about the Coca Cola boycott and other boycotts
that the USPCN has done in the past.  Sponsored by Middle East Peace Now,
endorsed by WAMM Middle East Cmmttee.  FFI: [27]website.

12. Tar Sands [28]Resistance March & Rally.

Saturday, June 6, 12 Noon, downtown St. Paul. Gather at Lambert's Landing
(Sibley St. / Shepard Rd, near the Mississippi River).  March to a rally at
the State Capitol Lawn.  Speakers, music, food, activist groups tables.
Join activists from all over the Midwest to help send a clear message: Keep
toxic tar sands in the ground and out of America's Heartland, fight for
clean water, clean energy, and a safe climate!  Sponsored by the Energy
Action Coalition, Indigenous Environmental Network, National Wildlife
Federation, MN350.org, Interfaith Power and Light, Sierra Club, WAMM and
others.  FFI:  [29]website.

_________________

VISIT US ONLINE • JOIN WAMM

Like good company? [30]Subscribe to the WAMM Women Against Military Madness
email list, become a member of WAMM or donate [31]today! You can also check
out the WAMM [32]website, like us on [33]Facebook or follow us on
[34]Twitter for updated stories, actions and more. WAMM's newsletter is
[35]online[36]!
WAMM

The Middle East Committee has a [37]website.

Tackling Torture at the Top, also known as T-3, has a [38]Facebook page.

Ground All Drones Committee has a [39]blog.

Enjoy this email? Forward to your friends and
colleagues-please load images first! Thank you!

Please Note: The preceding are events sponsored or endorsed by WAMM
committees or
coalitions. We regret that we cannot accommodate all the many wonderful
peace and justice
events occurring in the Twin Cities. For more WAMM events or ongoing peace
vigils,
call WAMM at 612-827-5364 or see the WAMM calendar on
WomenAgainstMilitaryMadness.org

WAMM’s provision of information on other group’s events is not meant to
convey nor
endorse any action contrary to public policy that would be inconsistent
with exempt
purposes under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) i.e., charitable
purposes.