Re: Documents from communites will NOT be editable [was: let's get this...
From: Andrew Netherton (andrewnethertongmail.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:06:19 -0800 (PST)
We're all human, Fred.  We do what we can.  At least now that you and
I are on the same page, once the wiki is up and running we can
implement an example before opening it up to everyone else.  Or just
have the example there and let everyone loose, and whatever shakes out
shakes out.  :)

I guess one question we should address is whether to have someone
(me?) be the conduit through which all the documents flow, or whether
we simply open the whole thing up and let it self-manage.  A lot more
can be done by letting other people upload what they can, and only
having me intervene when someone isn't able (or capable) of putting up
a page or uploading a document, or needs a document converted to text
and/or PDF.  Yeah, I like that idea.  Leave it open (as it should be)
and just make me a resource to those that need it.  How does that
sound?  (Sounds like a LOT less work for me!!)

Meanwhile, I found the following helpful pages:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting

I'm going to start developing the Laurel Creek Commons page now.  Woo!

Andrew

On 2/16/07, Fred H Olson <fholson [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Andrew Netherton wrote:

> On 2/15/07, Fred H Olson <fholson [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
> > I dont expect documents will be stored "IN" the wiki but rather linked from
it.

> Having slept on it, I fully understand now.  I came to the same
> conclusion myself just this morning, even before reading your example.
>  I agree - linked from the wiki, not stored in it.

Great.  It can be hard to explain these intangible things in text til
there is a working example and even then it can be a challenge - C-L-sum
weekly summary mailings and intended use is still hard to explain after a
year.

I had two serious failure to communicate situations (mostly, my fault, at
least I was the initiator) one recnt week.  Very discouraging.  But I
manage to keep trying.

Fred

Communications for Justice - My listserv org.           UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)