Re: Storage and garage sales
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 13:51 CDT
I make it a habit to ask other cohousing groups what are the major
mistakes you made.  One of the top answers to that question I have
gotten is: Not enough personal storage space.  In the programming for
unit designs this seems to get overlooked, or under estimated.
Cohousing groups which do move in all at once end up with boxes of
storage stuff on porches, under eaves, in the basement of the commonhouse etc.
It would be a good exercise to brainstorm a list of the things people
have in their garages.  Where will things like paint, tools, camping
gear, bicycle parts, car maintenance things, all go?  For example,
eventually you will need to repaint the commonhouse.  You will want to
have a gallon or two of touchup paint stored to deal with those ugly
marks that the kids will make on the walls two days after the paint is
dry. Where will the cans of paint be stored? What about unit paint?
What about paint thinner and old rags (fire hazard!!!!).

I think a great idea is right before move in hold a large community
garage sale, with the proceeds going to buy things for the commonhouse.
 (for some reason things like chairs, drapes, wall hangings to reduce
noise, etc. never get in the budget) That way all of the members can
deal with excess stuff all at once.  This is a great way to get rid of
things you do not need, pick up things you want from your other
neighbors, meet lots of interesting neighbors from outside your
community.  Then when its all over you can call the Salvation Army to
come pick up the left overs Monday morning.

I stop at every garage sale in my neighborhood in order to chat with
the neighbors. I seldom ever buy anything but I am always interested in
meeting the people who live around the area and a garage sale is an
open invitation.

Each year the co-op preschool does a joint garage sale  with all its
members and we raise $2-3,000 from peoples donations.  It is the most
fun, fund raising event, a great community building and conflict
resolution experience (what! you are going to sell my broken 1972 lava
lamp for only $2????), and is a great source for things I never knew I
needed but couldn't pass up for the price.

Rob Sandelin
Regretting that I turned down a collection of bike fixing tools for $5
at a garage sale now that I need to fix my bike...