cohousing & alternative ed
From: jreed (jreedccmail.llu.edu)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 94 11:38 CDT
Greetings!

I taught high school physics, computers, & math from 1987-91, &
quickly realized the unspoken lessons of typical public
schooling and its systemic problems.  Reading John Gatto had me
nodding & started me on my search for a better way of living
and learning.  Now that I'm a mom (Katie is 17 months old), I'm
even more motivated to create a rich, loving environment for
our family.

I think homeschooling is great, but a small community school is
even better.  It provides more options for kids and parents
(especially working parents).  A group of 3 families ("burning
souls") & several other families/singles are working toward
developing a cozy cohousing community with a school as its
focus (East of San Diego, California).  We're at least 2 years
away from land purchase, but are exploring working models of
alternative schooling.  At the very least, we will homeschool
within our community, but we'd really like to create an "open"
school for children outside our core group.  I even envision a
larger "virtual school" to share expertise and interests.

Our favorite working model so far is Sudbury Valley School, a
democratic school that began in the 60's.  (SInce then, many
other SVS clones have formed.)  SVS allows the natural
curiosity of human nature to guide learning. Students choose
what, when, and how to learn and teachers help only when asked.
Students and parents also vote on budgets, rules, and judicial
matters.  I was a bit skeptical until I read some of their
books about how kids learn in a free environment.  They have
many publications and a LISTSERV if anyone is interested.

We're exploring the possibility of creating a charter school
(within public school system - accountable for success but not
constrained by typical rules - charter defines success and
assessment methods).  I'm very interested in communicating with
anyone who has experience with private or public alternative
schooling.

One useful resource is The Alternative Education Resource
Organization - they publish a newsletter & AERO leader Jerry
Mintz just published a handbook of alternative ed with 7300
examples of alternative schools (as well as descriptions of
approaches, philosophies, resources, organizations, etc.).
I've found many other books, organizations, and online
resources helpful & would be glad to share info if anyone is
interested.  I'll also send our outline of what we envision for
our school/community if anyone is interested.

By the way, Jerry Mintz says that the fastest growing segment
of homeschoolers are those disatisfied with schooling options,
NOT those concerned with religious issues.  Like cohousing,
alternative schooling is a growing movement, and I see the two
naturally and easily working together.

Jodi Reed                      Follow your bliss.
jreed [at] ccmail.llu.edu           - Joseph Campbell