Info about cohousing-l at conferences/gatherings
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 94 18:19 CST

At the Northern California conference yesterday there was a great deal
of interest in cohousing-l.  I met a lot of folks who are email-enabled
but had not heard of cohousing-l.  Those of us who were there who are
active on the list were not at all well prepared to handle this.  I
ended up making an announcement and giving out my email address to
anyone who wanted to inquire.  I didn't feel comfortable that I
remembered the exact subscription syntax for cohousing-l off the top of
my head and I didn't want to generate a huge bunch of malformed requests
for Fred to deal with.

I feel pretty stupid for not having anticipated this situation and thus
gotten prepared for it.  The conference was in the Bay Area for heaven's
sake - half of the U.S. computer industry is in that region.  My only
excuse is that I've been working about 16 hours a day all week to finish
an academic conference paper.  It got mailed out on Friday afternoon,
and Friday evening I spent dancing and getting drunk with my housemates.
Saturday morning I unaccountably had a headache :-).

Anyway, I don't think we were in too much better case at the Boulder
conference - again we were giving out our personal email addresses to
people so they could contact us about how to get on the list (at least I
did this and I know Rob Sandelin did too).

My feeling is that, in any kind of cohousing gathering or conference,
there is likely to be interest in cohousing-l, and those of us active on
this list should take responsibility for putting information out about
it.  Specifically I suggest that someone should

1) Prepare a sheet of information explaining what cohousing-l is like
and how to subscribe

2) Print a bunch of copies and place them on the information table.

3) Let cohousing-l know what you are doing so that we don't end up doing
it multiple times for each conference.

4) Make an announcement about it directing people to the sheets of paper
at some appropriate point in the program.

Here's the text I wish I'd prepared for yesterday - feel free to use it
in any way convenient for you.

Stuart.
N St Cohousing
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu

                                Cohousing-l
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^

Cohousing-l is an internet email discussion list for talking about any
and all aspects of Cohousing.  Recent discussion themes have included:
common house kitchen design, how to get a mortgage, political
implications of cohousing, energy efficiency in house design, the role
of community building in cohousing, and many others.  The list is not
moderated, but the discussions are generally of very high quality.  Many
people find that they can get their questions answered by folks from
other groups who have struggled with the same issues.

There are about 350 subscribers at present.  Most are in the U.S., but
there are also some in other countries including Canada and Australia.
The list carries quite a lot of traffic - if you join you should expect
to receive five or ten email messages a day from it.  You may need to be
selective and only read messages with subjects which particularly
interest you.  Only people who are subscribed to the list can post
messages to it.

How to subscribe:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you already have access to email, send an email to listserv [at] uci.com
with no subject and a line saying

SUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L Your full name

in the body of the message.  Obviously, the text "Your full name" should
be replaced with your actual name (not your email address).  After you
do this, the list will send you back a message with detailed information
on how to use it which you should read and keep for future reference.

What if you don't have email access?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you work at a high-tech company or if you are associated with a
university, you will almost certainly be able to get an account which
gives you access through work/school.  Contact the information
technology department at your particular organization.

The most common route for people who cannot do this is to sign up with a
commercial on-line service.  Ones which many people use to connect to
the internet include America On-Line (1-800-827-6364) and Delphi (1-800
695 4005).  Local internet service providers in your area may provide a
better deal.  There are also a variety of local programs to provide free
internet access - some are operated through universities, and some by
the efforts of electronic activists.  We cannot give general advice
about these local options - ask computer-savvy friends in your area.
The ads in Wired magazine (widely available at newstands) may also give
you useful leads.

If you have not used the internet before, you may well want guidance
from one of the plethora of books which have recently invaded bookstores
everywhere.

Other resources for the internet experienced

The cohousing-l archives can be accessed though the listserv at
listserv [at] uci.com or via gopher at uci.uci.com .

World wide web pages with a large body of information about cohousing
are at http://everest.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/cohousing.html.  These
can also be accessed by email - send a message to
coho-request [at] helvellyn.cs.ucdavis.edu with Subject: help.