Re: Affordable CoHousing (FWD)
From: Shedrick Coleman (shedarchgsvms2.cc.gasou.edu)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 15:33 CST
In message Fri, 24 Mar 95 13:50 CST,
  Stuart Staniford-Chen <stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu>  writes:

> While agreeing that what Harry said is clearly an over-generalization, I
> can't resist responding to your last comment.  It rather seems to me that
> one  of the main problems with architecture as a profession is that it is
> judged  on the basis of a picture of the building, rather than on whether
> the users  of the building like it or not.  Hence we get lots of grand
> statement  buildings which leak and work poorly as social environments.
> (Not to say  that all architecture is that way, but a lot is).
>
> So why don't we ask Harry to back up his assertions with post-occupancy
> surveys rather than pictures?

Your statement further simplifies the comment.  The perception is that
architects worry less about client satisfaction than their perceived ego.
However, the vast majority of practitioners never have a building
photographed in any publication to justify your comment.  The work of a few
"star" architects in publication does not speak for the thousands of
successful projects carried out by my fellow practitioners.  There are
plenty who value the satifaction of the client and most would not be in
business without that attitude.  I'm personally not upset by your comments
regarding architects, but I feel you have obviously missed out on the
services of some fine members of this profession, who just like you, believe
that quality and satifying the client's needs, wants and budget are
paramount to the success of any project.
W. Shedrick Coleman, AIA                |W. Shedrick Coleman, AIA
Architect                               |Wm. Shedrick Coleman, Architect
Facilities Planning & Space Utilization |130 Brandlewood Drive
Georgia Southern University             |Savannah, Georgia 31405
Statesboro, Georgia                     |(912)232-7233 FAX:(912)239-9920
shedarch [at] gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu            |Shedarch [at] AOL.com