Re: Cohousing-L may be down on weekends
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 14:59 CDT
On Wed, 5 Apr 95 13:29 CDT,
Mmariner [at] aol.com  <Mmariner [at] aol.com> wrote:

>I appreciate the work it takes to keep the server going, but would ask if you
>can find somebody to assist Jon when he's overloaded.  The weekend time is
>probably a time when people take time to ruminate on the issues and come up
>with thoughtful posts.  True, we could wait 'til Monday to post our stuff,
>but I urge y'all to find a way to get help.
>
>Perhaps the participants could chip in a few bucks each to pay somebody.  How
>about a teenager?
>
>MikeM

Sorry, I should have explained the significance of
"Cohousing-L may be down on weekends".  Messages can be sent to
the list while it is down but they will not be redistributed
subscribers until it comes back up again.  They WILL be distributed
when it comes back up.

(This might be different when Jon upgrades the mailer software which
he attempted and failed to do recently. Tho I would hope not.)

The list server is run on computers where Jon works as
something Jon does on the side.  That is, Jon is allowing us
the benefits of his efforts which in turn rely on the
generosity of his employer.  We are in no position to request
better service.

The net effect of "the server being down" (for 2 days or so at
a time) is that a delay will be introduced.  For most people
I suspect there are plenty of messages to be
considered and to which to respond even with such delays.

Sorry for not making this clear in my first message.  The main
reason I announce such interruptions is that peolpe wonder when
then mail volume they receive drops off drastically.

If there are further replies on this topic I would prefer they
be by direct email rather than over the list.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis,MN 55411 Sysop of COHOUSING-L listserv;