Re: Renters in cohousing
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 95 02:26 CDT
Judy asks

> Am I right, the renters at N street are renting from people who happen

> to own the houses there, as N street started, and aren't involved in the

> community.  ?

This is correct.  At present, two of our houses belong to absentee
landlords who have never had any involvement with the community at all.
In the past the number has been as high as four houses.

>From their standpoint, we're a pretty good deal because we keep the houses
full with people who are generally more reliable than the average student
rental household.

>From our standpoint, the scheme has mixed benefits.  Obviously it's
insecure - the landlord could always up and change his or her mind,
leaving us without the house.  However, it does mean that our community is
much more accessible to people of low income.  (I could not have afforded
to get involved in Muir Commons, but I can here).  It means we get a fair
turnover of people in their 20s coming through here all the time, staying
a year or three, and moving on.  My opinion is that this is really
valuable.  Firstly it means that there are always new and interesting
people living here, and second it means that we get to send all these
people out to other parts of the world already convinced of the worth and
viability of a more communal lifestyle.

However, whatever the merits or lack thereof, we don't do it out of
principal, but rather out of pragmatism.  These houses are owned by
absentee landlords who don't want to sell.  Our choices are either to rent
from them or leave the fences up.  We don't like fences much here.

Stuart.

Stuart Staniford-Chen           |       Dept of Computer Science
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu            |       UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616
(916) 752-2149  - work          |               and
(916) 756-8697  - home          |       N St. Cohousing Community
Home page is http://everest.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/home.html