Re: Land Trusts/Open Space
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 95 09:59:10 PDT
>I would be curious to hear if any groups have any luck working through
>this avenue.

There was a cohousing group on Orcas Island, which through a state
affordable housing program, applied for and got a land trust grant to
purchase their property.  The requirements of such, plus the internal
dynamics of the group, caused them to abandon the cohousing model and
become a land trust.  The main requirement was that home owners in the
group had to be in a certain income bracket at the time of closing on
the mortgages,  that the development entity had to have certain
qualifications, and most unforunately, that there was a cap on commonly
owned property as a percentage of the total value, meaning that they
could not jointly own  property and do a commonhouse. They chose to
leave a small community commons in the center of the community.  In
theory they could build a commonhouse on it with their own funds, but
they are all low income and don't have funds.  There were lots of group
problems as well, high turnover and low group commitment and thus,
while they built low income-privately owned housing, many folks who
live there have no interest or commitment to ANY sort of community.

There are several  Community land trust intentional communities around
which offer propritary leases rather than private ownership, thus the
group controls all the housing rather than individual private
ownership.  I have heard of community land trusts with private
ownership - but they all seem to lack any sort of common element.  I
don't know if this is due to land trust issues, or just particular to
the communities.

In my area the land trusts are formed to create low income housing, or
to preserve land from development. The low income housing gigs seem to
run off of govt. sponsership grants or loans and thus get saddled with
a bunch of requirements.  Boy wouldn't it be great if someone won some
giant lottery and put together a community loan fund to incourage the
development of intentional communities?

Rob Sandelin