Re: Re: Feminine Homes
From: Harry Pasternak (Harry_Pasternaktvo.org)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 07:53:09 -0500
Susan

Gaining "Feminine Attributes" means that homes became warm, cozy, and
comfortable-it was the women that brought these chages in. The suburban
developers stripped all of the "Feminine Attributes" by building houses
without porches, lack of detailing on the exterior etc. etc. and instead put
people into the basemens, slapped on the double garage onto the front of the
home with an entrance directly into the home etc. etc. All of those changes
would reduce the construction costs, which would increase the profit level
for the developers.
At the same time, these changes, while promoting the auto industry, affected
the "socializing" that the pre surburban homes had; this socializing is often
considered a "Feminine Attribute"

The Boston pro-active programs I referred to are the apparent numerous
sources of funds available for low income folks who need housing as well as
the pro-active attitudes of public servants.

By the way, I was told that land costs in the Boston area had fallen 50%, a
couple of years by a Boston architect who was up in Canada looking for work-
and if an offer to purchase land is put in-it should be less than 50% of the
asking price.

Harry