Re: Examiner article/Fairfax "cohousing
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:42:39 -0500
Marty wrote:

> Second, I thought part of the definition of cohousing was that it was
> designed and built by the residents and owned by them.

In the first edition of the book, there was at least one example of a
community in which most of the homes were rented from a non-profit.
There was also an example in which existing homes were rehabbed and
common elements added.

My community, N St, chooses to call itself cohousing.  Was it "designed
and built" by the residents?  Well we certainly didn't design and build
the houses.  We did *initiate* and *control* the transformation of our
neighbourhood to a community.  We have designed some of our landscaped
elements in common.  We retrofitted one of the houses to be a common
house.  There we eat community dinner several times a week and decide our
common business by consensus before retreating to the privacy or our own
homes (and kitchens).

Are you going to say we aren't cohousing because we didn't design and
build all the houses ourselves?  Because some of our houses are rentals?

Stuart Staniford-Chen, N St Cohousing and Cohousing Network Webweaver.

(For more information about N St, see our web pages at
http://www.cohousing.org/specific/n_street/)