Common Kitchen Furnishings
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 02:30:01 -0500
Yay, EcoVillage,

Coupla' hints about CH furnishings.

1. Many of your neighbors will be moving from bigger houses to your place,
so start by having people contribute extras of sets of dishes, pots and
pans, chairs and tables, cutlery dining table and kitchen implements,
blenders, other small appliances, etc. I'm sure you want your kitchen and
dining area to look spiffy from the start since it is such a spiffy brand
new facility, but I still think you will be happier with using odds and ends
to see what you need, and to save yourselves a little money. Give the
leftovers to the Goodwill or have a big garage sale on the site. (The latter
may be a good way to meet your new neighbors--I mean the ones outside the
community--by inviting them to sell stuff there too, promote it, etc.

2. Try to avoid the most industrial of kitchen appliances.You do not want
your kitchen to look like a restaurant--more like a large family--read
homey--place. Some of the appliance places have a commercial/residential
line that works well. Remember that at the most you will only cook 3- 6
meals a week on this stove or stored in that refrigerator

3. Consider dining room tables with pedestals if you can afford them.
Depending on the shape of table, legs near the edge can contribute to
inflexiblility in relation to the number of people who can comfortably sit
at each table. Your funky first furniture will teach you a lot.

Joani