Cascade Cohousing Australia
From: ian_hig (ian_higantdiv.gov.au)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 19:14:24 -0500
Dear all,
I thought I would send a brief update on Cascade Cohousing in
Tasmania for those who have been wondering what we've been upto over
the past year or so while I have been unsubscribed.

We have now completed 12 out of our 14 houses and have made all of
our common house useable (even if all the trim is not in place).
Building wise we are concentrating on building our path system and
putting in some land scaping, very welcome elements of the design for
those of us who have been living on site for three years.  We are
running 3 common meals a week and they are very popular, some people
are interested in having 4 available per week.  My daughter (who is
now 5) finds common meals her favourite nights of the week.  She and
the other 4 kids on site love playing in the kids room and around the
common house.  Our guest room is
getting regular use, including a few visitors from the US.

Community wise I think we are generally going very well.  Issues that
in the past we gave a low priority (even though recognising their
importance) such as pets and the limits of what activities require
group consent are now a high priority and taking up more time.  This
will require revisiting our original goals and agreements and
interpreting the language and working out whgat we want now.  We have
those who would like the group to regulate a wide range of activities
that potentially impact on the common property (eg caged pets that
might escape, plants that might be weeds) and those who feel that
except where there are direct impacts on neighbours/common property
that the group should have no say on what happens in priovate back
yards.  The classic issues of dogs and cats come up with questions on
how we can limit the numbers of animals on site (eg 1 dog and 3 cats)
but be fair to people who might want to get a pet in the future.

Vegetable gardens are going in and we look forward to some good crops
next spring/summer.

One member is seriously considering selling their house (this will be
our first sale since establishment) now that they have moved off site
to live with a new partner.

Also on the cohousing front, a cohousing coooperative is likely to
start building Hobart's (and Australia's?) second cohouse later this
year.  This will be a rental co-operative and there will be some
controls on rents for low income earners.

It is great to come back and see  mail here from people who are now
building after many years of planning and hard work.

Regards to all
Ian Higginbottom

Cascade Cohousing
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia
Ian Higginbottom

Fisheries Hydroacoustics
Australian Antarctic Division
Channel Highway
Kingston, Tasmania 7004

Tel:  (002) 323 360  Intl: 61 02 323 360
Fax:  (002) 323 351  Intl: 61 02 323 351