RE: National Ad
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 11:03:00 -0500
One of the problems with national advertising is there is no national
network to respond. It would be much more effective if there was a
national coordinating organization, but this seems to have gotten talked
about, then stalled out. Regional organizations seem spotty at best with
RMCA being one of the more organized. The National Cohousing Network
COULD do a lot of things, but doing things requires people and money,
which don't seem to be available currently. The journal survives, which
is good, but it is barely in the black (if it is, Don?) and there is no
other national presence. (Support the journal, Buy a subscription for
your local library)

If the Journal was at newstands everywhere, like Communities magazine,
then we would have something more of a presence. As it is now, there is
a lot of good focused project energy that is scattered all over. While
synergy cohousing is great, and I am absolutely delighted they are
taking on the futurist conference along with Liberty Bell, I hope in the
next couple years the folks who are DONE with projects and doing
promotional work all the time to sell their own last couple of unit will
be willing to put in energy to the movement as a whole.

It is very disappointing to me that in my own region, with 3 built
projects, I can count on the fingers on one hand the number of people
who have energies for cohousing movement stuff (and I have lots of
fingers left over).  There seems to be little energy to look past our
own homes.

It may very well be that it will take having 100 or more built and
occupied projects before there is enough energy to sustain a national
organization that could do national level promotion, write grants, etc.

What cha think

Rob Sandelin
Northwest Intentional Communities Association