Re: "Living Lightly" and cohousing?
From: Diane Simpson (dqsworld.std.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:39:13 -0500
Here is some information that I have accumulated over the years about
sustainability and environmental resources. (I hope this is what you mean
by "living lightly") In addition to the three sources mentioned below,
Green Decade Coalition is a good organization to join if you're in the
Boston area. They are located at 474 Centre Street, Newton MA 02158. ph:
617-965-1995. Cost is $19.96 annually. They have a newsletter, tours,
speaker series. Also: The Rocky Mountain Institute is a good source of
information on living lightly. Their address is: Rocky Mountain Institute,
1739 Snowmass Creek Road, Snowmass, CO 81654-9199.
ph: 970-927-3851
e-mail: dreed [at] rmi.org
web: http://www.rmi.org
They have a newsletter that comes out three times a year and is posted to
their web site. If you want to be notified when the newsletter has been
posted, e-mail them at: newsletter [at] rmi.org. Suggested minimum donation:
$10.00

Or you can send mail to "Majordomo [at] world.std.com" with the following

unsubscribe er-list dqs [at] world.std.com

Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in case
you don't already have it:

[Last updated on: Fri Sep 27 11:31:03 EDT 1996]

The Environmental Roundtable is a coalition helping people from various
organizations get together, to share information and resources on campaigns
of common concern, and to create working partnerships and valuable contacts
among member groups.

(A subscription may have been entered for you, in order for you to continue
to receive ER Alerts and other news intended for activists, ER members, and
friends.)

Sustainability is a topic which is frequenty discussed on this list. A
recent issue of Popular Science gave me a pointer to a WWW site on the
topic that some of you may find useful:

http://www.sustainable.doe.gov/

There is a searchable database for resources along with a long list of
success stories. I've pasted a section from the "who we are" and "how to
contact us" pages into this posting for those of you without WWW access.

Stuart Bonnema
bonnema [at] cae.cig.mot.com
(near) Chicago, IL

----

What is the Center of Excellence for Sustainable Development?

The Center of Excellence for Sustainable Development helps communities
design and implement innovative strategies that enhance the local economy
as well as the local environment and quality of life. Created by the U.S.
Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy,
the new Center of Excellence can:

Define what sustainable development is and how it can apply to you;

Show how sustainable development is being practiced by other urban and
rural communities across the nation;

Provide you via, the internet, with a "tool kit" of sustainable information
including manuals, workbooks, data bases, case studies and model codes and
ordinances;

Help you identify public and private sources of technical and financial
assistance to carry out your program;

Provide you with information about the public participation processes other
communities have found work best in planning and implementing sustainable
development; and

Develop a menu of energy efficiency and
renewable energy programs that fit the unique needs of your community.

Our customers are communities and the Federal, State and local agencies
that assist them in community development. We define communities broadly to
include cities, villages, towns and neighborhoods, as well as national
parks, industrial parks and other "communities of interest."

Our mission is to provide communities with world-class consultation on
sustainable development and to help them link to the other public and
private programs that can help them develop sustainably.

There are many resources available on this Web site that you can use to
assist your community. You can also request specific technical assistance
from the Center of Excellence through our request assistance form.

-----

If your community would like to request sustainable development assistance,
please fill in the request form below, or contact us at the following
address:

Center of Excellence for Sustainable Development U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Denver Regional Support Office
1617 Cole Boulevard
Golden, CO 80401
Toll-Free Phone: 800/363-3732
Fax: 303/275-4830
E-mail: sustainable.development [at] hq.doe.gov World Wide Web:
http://www.sustainable.doe.gov

Probably the list it came from was Ecocity--my favorite, by the way.
You may subscribe by sending an e-mail to:

                LISTSERV [at] SEGATE.SUNET.SE

Include as the only text in the letter the phrase:

                SUBSCRIBE ECOCITY

That should get you going.  If you want to see more information about
the list, select:

http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=ECOCITY&H=SEGATE.SUNET.SE

If Coho-L doesn't provide you with enough email traffic and you're interested
in Eco-villages and sustainability in general, SUSTAIN-L and the Ecovillage
List have recently combined into ECOBALANCE.  Diverse topics being discussed
include diverse building materials, status of various ecovillages, various
aspects of land stewardship, etc.

There are a lot of articulate, knowledgeble folks on the ECOBALANCE list and
quality (signal-to-noise ratio) is improving.  (Course, any list has its
peaks and pits, right?)

To SUBSCRIBE to the  ECOBALANCE list:

send a message to:   liststar [at] gaia.org

with the words:      subscribe ecobalance

in the BODY of the message. The subject is ignored.
Note - you are subscribed to the list in "normal" mode at first.
If you wish to receive the digest you must use the digest command
below in a new message once you have subscribed.

To keep your email box less cluttered, I recommend using the "digest" feature
once you're subscribed (digests save all the posts to the list for a day and
send it in one file:

To RECEIVE MESSAGES IN DIGEST MODE once a day:

send a message to:   liststar [at] gaia.org

with the words:      set ecobalance digest

in the BODY of the message. The subject is ignored.

Alternatively, if you DON'T want more email traffic but would like to monitor
ECOBALANCE from time to time, point your web browser to:
 http://csf.colorado.edu to access the archives of the mail list (along with
COHOUSING-L archives).  If the ECOBALANCE archives aren't there yet, give CSF
a few weeks - the lists only merged in the last couple weeks.

      @@@@        Diane Simpson  http://world.std.com/~dqs      @@@@
      |  |        J P   C O H O U S I N G   N E T W O R K       |  |
      | "|                263 Chestnut Ave. #1                  |" |
      | V|          Boston, MA 02130-4436 617-522-2209          |V |