Re: "Non-cohousing" cohousing
From: Steve J. White (stevebarkingcat.org)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:09:02 -0500
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob wrote:

[...]
> The other comment is that the house next door to us was recently rented by
> a couple in our coho group, who moved here a few months ago from
> Philadelphia in order to be closer and help with the development process.
> Of course we have a closer relationship with them than with our other
> neighbors, but the limitations imposed by the physical relationship of our
> two houses have been very obvious. In fact, I think if you wanted to
> design 2 houses so that the neighbors would have little or nothing to do
> with each other, these two would serve as a good example. It is
> instructive to note what a large effect the physical factors have on the
> ability to have spontaneous interactions, or even your willingness to
> initiate "unspontaneous" interactions.

A good friend of mine summed it up in this short phrase: you are where
you live.  I can't help but be drawn back to the work of Bucky Fuller and
everything he said and did regarding what he termed design science.
It's a very old concept, and one that was understood and used by
architects in antiquity.

I even recall reading somewhere about a study done years ago having to do
with spending time in various geometric shapes and how these shapes
affect the sort of behavior most conducive to getting work accomplished
inside them.

The shapes used were a geodesic dome, a pyramid and a cube.  I wish I
could recall the correlations but it escapes me.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

BTW, I'm new to this mailing list; I just sub'ed a couple of weeks ago.
Nice to meet y'all.   =)

- Steven
http://barkingcat.org/
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers."
                                - Pablo Picasso