Re: Links with cohousing website - ERROR correction
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:51:48 -0500
Fred wrote:
> ERROR CORRECTION .......................
>
> Leni refers to "cohousing.org"  which is WRONG
>
> The correct URL is http://www.cohousing.org  or abbreviated
> www.cohousing.org    The WWW. part IS REQUIRED.
>
> http://cohousing.org gets (if anything)  the home page of our access
> provider (mtn.org). This is an artifact of the way the www.cohousing.org
> is implemented. Our pages are not at mtn.

It's true that "http://cohousing.org"; will not work.  However, some
browsers, if you just type "cohousing.org", will assume you meant
"http://www.cohousing.org"; and so that will work.

On the original question about what sites have links to the cohousing
network web pages: I believe most of the major search engines find it
pretty easily, and to the best of my knowledge, all individual cohousing
community web pages trade links with us.  Other pages I don't readily
know about.  People contact me to trade links, but I have not ever gone
and aggressively sought out links.  If someone else wants to - great!

What I do have is the referer log for the web server.  This contains the
URL of the page from which someone linked to us for every access ever
made to the server.  However, the information is not in a convenient
form, and it contains a lot of information which is perhaps somewhat
private.  If I knew there was a lot of demand for this kind of
information, I could find a few hours to write some scripts and analyze
it.  (Or if anyone is aware of a good free tool for doing this on Unix
machines, let me know).

Stuart.