Re: Restructuring assistance programs - another take
From: Alan Carpenter (acarpentdirect.ca)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 20:06:14 -0500
WE have a project underway in B.C., Canada called Quayside Village
Cohousing. We have created 5 affordable homes including one affordable
rental. This has only been supported by the government in creating a
"density bonus" and the group did the rest. This may be a model that other
Cohousing groups can consider.

> Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:24:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Dahako [at] aol.com
> To: cohousing-l [at] freedom.mtn.org
> Subject: Restructuring assistance programs - another take
>
> Hi all - I used to write the regs for the CDBG program, and have
substantial
> experience with the HOME and Section 108 loan guarantee programs too.
They
> would need very little restructuring, if any, to work with cohousing, so
long
> as a reasonable number of low-income folks are served (percentage and
> counting method varies by program).  The big IF with these funds is IF
you
> can convince your local or state government to budget some for you.  The
> local budget competition is fierce in most places.  And messing with the
> low-income focus of the programs would be extremely hotly contested by
> established public interest groups.
>
> In my opinion, a good federal legislative route to take might be to
establish
> a pilot or demonstration or special project administered by the
Neighborhood
> Reinvestment Corporation (used to nonprofits and have access to private
funds
> and run awesome training courses), the National Community Development
> Initiative (strong emphasis on low-income folks and nonprofit capacity,
> access to government and private funds), or HUD (little natural access to
> private funds, bureaucracy may channel nascent organization rather than
> letting it find its own way).  There are some other organizations out
there
> that may also be useful.  I strongly recommend picking someplace
smallish.

> In North Carolina, Rep David Price is very interested in housing issues
and
> is on the relevant appropriations committee in the House.  I might have
some
> conflict of interest issues if I approach him, but there are plenty of
other
> NC folks who could.  He is currently trying to help Self-Help Credit
Union