Re: COHOUSING-L digest 286
From: Alan Carpenter (acarpentdirect.ca)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 11:58:29 -0600 (MDT)
23 out of 34 where from single family homes here at Windsong Cohousing in
Langley, B.C.

Again on appraisal what I recommend and so does Chris Hanson is that the
square everyone's portion size in the common house is included in you unit
size. In other words if you unit is 1000 SF and the common house is 6000 SF
with 30 homes of the same size then your gross area is 1200 SF. Then have
the homes based on a calculation of a 1200 SF home instead of a 1000 SF
home. This should increase the value of the unit. If you home costs is even
higher then this indicates that your project is a "custom" nature with
special features that will create a higher market price.

In Windsong the appraiser could use sales of other homes in Windsong as a
comparable instead of using outside homes. When we had 20 presold that
indicated the market price.