Cohousing Story from CNN
From: Diane Simpson (dqsworld.std.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:38:05 -0600
I apologize if this has already been posted. I am not getting any messages
from Cohousing-List.
--Diane:.(
Communal living enters mainstream America

October 24, 1997
Web posted at: 3:11 p.m. EDT (1911 GMT)

=46rom Correspondent Don Knapp

EMERYVILLE, California (CNN) -- Charles Durrett
and his wife were fascinated in Denmark when they
witnessed families of diverse backgrounds living
together in shared space. Struck by the idea, the
couple came back to the United States and began
what many Americans would consider a radical
venture.

But co-housing has gained momentum, with complexes
popping up in cities across the country. For many,
the way of life is a welcome relief to the hectic
1990s lifestyle.

"In co-housing, people have a relationship with
each other," Durrett said, commenting on why
mainstream America is latching onto the
alternative lifestyle once confined to the hippies
generation.

About two dozen co-housing communities have sprung
up in recent years, and 150 more are planned.

Durrett describes co-housing as a neighborhood where
everyone helps take care of children and elderly residents.
It's also a place where residents shop, cook and
dine together.

Residents of the Emeryville, California, project
founded by Durrett say they were drawn by its
sense of shared community.

Communal cooking and the neighbors' children make
co-housing right for single mom Teri Dowling.  "Having other kids
for my son to play  with has been great," she said.

Resident Chris Southerland added: "What we got
here is not quite an extended family but a whole
lot more than an anonymous neighborhood. It's sort
of a village."

Residents also point out that they are able to
live at the complex for less money than nearby
apartments in San Francisco, where the cost of
living is among the highest in the nation.
Co-housing units at Emeryville range in price from
$133,000 to $277,000.

Resident Deb Gray's parents were concerned that
their daughter might be moving into a cult-like
commune. But now, she said, they have decided they
want to live in co-housing.

And Joani Blank noted that despite the shared
space, privacy is still available: "You don't have
to share your bathroom, you don't have to share
your kitchen, and you can make love in the living
room."

                =DD
                                          [rule]

                     Related story:

                        * All's natural in upstate New York
                          "EcoVillage" - September 30, 1997

                     Related site:

                     Note: Pages will open in a new browser window

                        * EcoVillage at Ithica

      @@@@        Diane Simpson  http://world.std.com/~dqs      @@@@
      |  |              J P   C O H O U S I N G                 |  |
      | "|                263 Chestnut Ave. #1                  |" |
      | V|          Boston, MA 02130-4436 617-522-2209          |V |