Re: Design that pushes the Envelope (fwd)
From: porcupin (porcupinshocking.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 04:33:36 -0600
Catherine Harper wrote:

> Pretty sure this was meant for the list in general.

We did extensive research on forward thinking design ideas in Chico and
ran into a huge number of dead ends some of which were very costly.  You
will find that building inspectors and appraisers are a VERY
conservative lot and do not take lightly to radical change.
Look up a few years worth of "Fine Homebuilding" magazine to get ideas
on what the best design features might be and realistic estimates of
cost.
The basic stud framed house built today is dominant because it really is
the best compromise of cost, materials, and sound construction.  The
addition of modern insulation, ventilation, windows and seals provides
for the most economical means of achieving comfort.
Try to stick to two story buildings that are as square as possible.
Every angle you add costs in wood, concrete, roofing, labor and energy
wasted.  It makes for simple designs but physics dictates the rules of
the process.  One story buildings or rooms double the amount of
foundation and roof(include rafters, sheathing and insulation); the two
most expensive components of your houses.  In addition one story
buildings add to the footprint of the house on the lot thereby crowding
the project.
If you can, build your units as duplexes or townhouses.  We have a foot
of insulation between us and the neighbors and we have never heard their
voices, stereo or t.v. even with the headboard of our bed right next to
the connecting wall.  The shared wall is also effectively a perfect
insulator saving each homeowner money in the long term.
Your local power company probably has a set of specifications on
insulation, sealing, furnaces, air-conditioning, windows etc.  Find out
what the most stringent specs are and follow them to the last detail.
Our builder missed one spec on roof ventilation and some of us our
finding we have to add roof fans to properly cool our houses.  We also
recieved a thousand dollar rebate from the power co. and were eligable
for an additional $500 discount on closing costs with some banks due to
the increased effeciancy.
Ways you might want to "push the envelope" might be to incorporate
thermal mass structures(cinder block or concrete walls) in the interior
of your buildings or look at ground loop heat pumps that take advantage
of the constant 55 degree temperature of the earth to heat and cool your
houses.  Other things I have seen are a pressed straw wallboard that
would replace insulation and sheetrock and solar water heating or
preheating.  Remember that there will be numerous rules as to what
exactly you can build in your area and they are all interpreted by your
local building inspectors and city planners.  If you get on their wrong
side you are doomed.
Those are a few thoughts to start with.
Good Luck.
John Poteet
Chico
Where the city planners office is making us plant every last bush on our
landscape plan due to complaints from a grumpy neighbor.  (The Landscape
Architect thought we had some lattitude. oops.)

P.S. Hire your help from the local area. We didn't and IMHO it cost us
big time.