Re: common house stoves
From: Susan Paris (sparisu.washington.edu)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:58:34 -0600
as a community member at puget ridge cohousing in seattle, i want to
second john's comments about the limitations of residential grade stoves
in the common house.  we went with 2 residential stoves, side by side, to
avoid the cost of the hood and fan required for a commercial stove.  alas,
everything john said about cooking for 40 on a home range is true.  the
burners are not big enough or hot enough to accomodate our big pots and
pans.  boiling water takes FOREVER.  stirfry is a true pain in the neck,
and many people wait to eat because we can't have enough ready at one
time.  onions steam in their own juice, rather than fry up nice and brown,
because the burner is not hot enough to saute them.

susan p