Arch. grad student needs Cohousing "program" for thesis
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:11:52 -0600
John William Litten jwlbbl [at] ibm.net is the author
(with some editing from Fred based on email correspondence)
of the message below. It was posted by the Fred, the list
manager: owner-cohousing-L [at] cohousing.org (Please take care in reply).

PS Some discussion of the term (jargon?) "programming" on the
Cohousing-L might be interesting.  (w/ cc to John) otherwise replies
should probably go directly to John who does not subscribe to
Cohousing-L

Note: Due to a variety of factors I'm tardy in getting this
posted and the need is soon, please give it a bit of priority.
I think encouraging academic interest in cohousing is in our
best interests.  Thanks.  Fred

My name is John William Litten, and I am currently finishing a Masters
degree in Architecture at the University of Miami.  With the focus of
Miami's Architecture being housing and neighborhoods, I have chosen to
do an urban co-housing project in downtown West Palm Beach (where I
live) for my thesis project.  My thesis advisor has suggested that I
attempt to acquire a co-housing project "program" from a group that has
created one through the participatory process.  This is part of the
project that is virtually impossible to recreate without involving 20-30
people in my thesis.  With the time constraints inherent in a
architectural design studio, I will be unable to produce this document.

  I am looking for a simple program to fashion my thesis project after.

    The word "program" does seem to be architectural jargon.  Having
not done any programming in an office (it is typically done by the
client or higher-ups in a firm), I could not say with conviction what
the profession considers it to be.  My own understanding is that
programming is the square footage requirements of each different type of
function as well as any special spatial relationships between these
functions.  Anything the client comes to the Architect with as
requirements could be defined as "program."  Also the Architect could be
required to help refine these requirements into something more easily
defined as "architecture."  I hope this is not more confusing.  Again
I'm not looking to copy a program, just use it as a template for my
site.

I am not requiring a specific location or climate for this information.
Unfortunately I will not have time before my project is due to visit a
cohousing project.

Any help you might be able to provide me would be greatly appreciated.

John William Litten
jwlbbl [at] ibm.net