Re: Low-cost cohousing? Anyone heard of DeGeorge
From: ELJones (ELJonesaol.com)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:20:28 -0500
I know someone who is currently building a house through the DeGeorge
program, and she seems very pleased with them. In fact, she is going to train
as one of their local consultants. Some of the details of the program have
changed recently, and I believe they charge interest on only the land; their
literature cautions people against purchasing land that costs more than a
certain portion of their yearly income (I think it's either 1/3 or 2/3). My
friend does admit that it's hard work, and the literature also confirms this.
DeGeorge has a limited number of house plans, and they don't seem to allow
much changes to these plans, most of which are for typical suburban homes
with rather prominent garages. Some of them, though, looked like they could
be flipped--built so that the back faces the "front" of a lot. The group of
plans I looked through also included one that was less traditional, sort of
like an A-frame. Perhaps the company would consider alternate plans if a
group of potential buyers approached them.

Elizabeth Jones