Common House Tables/Size and Shape
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:21:32 -0600 (MDT)
David and (what-the--heck) anyone else who cares,

I've almost got the perfect table designed.  S'matter of fact I asked a
restaurant supply place  to give me a quote and they want $900 plus for
just one.  Don't have the details and measurements right here,and no time
to get em together before Sept. 1.  But if someone out there in coholand
will remind me next month, I'll pass on my conclusions on this subject
(based on visits to 25 (!) cohousing communities. [I've given serious
thought to common house table size and shape in each one. Just two hints.
You want rectangular tables with curved ends, or flaps or extensions. And
pay attention to the legs too. They should have trestle or pedestal legs,
and NOT at the corners  or edges.  This way there is no part of the table
where you cannot pull in a chair allowing for maximum flexibility  (like
squeezing in just one more place so no one has to sit alone or
accommodating someone who ate dinner at another table but wants to have
dessert and coffee with you, or spreading out a little so that everyone at
the table feels an equal part of the group seated there.)

Joani
Doyle Street and Old Oakland Cohousing.